New testing arrangements and Balcarras catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DebsB

New testing arrangements and Balcarras catchment

Post by DebsB »

Hello everyone. Newbie here.

I've got a DD in Y5 at a state primary and am beginning to think about the future. If she wants to try the GS test next autumn for entry in 2015, then when would people recommend I start preparing her? I'm thinking we need to go to open evenings this month so we can decide whether GS is the right thing for her, because next year's open evenings will be too late to start on the preparation. I'm wavering between Denmark Road and Balcarras for her, so planning to visit both open evenings with her this week.

Does anyone know if any new information has come out yet about the new testing arrangements for the Oct 2014 test? Also, I know Balcarras changed their admissions policy for the 2012 entry, so they must have had two cohorts of kids selected on the new criteria. Does anybody know how it went? Did all the siblings get in? What about non-siblings outside the priority area? Under the old system without priority areas, they used to publish how far away their furthest non-sibling entrant lived each year - usually just over or just under a mile, I think. Does anyone have any data like that for the new arrangements?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me, and good luck to all the Y6 families on here with the tests coming up soon! :)
RedVelvet

Re: New testing arrangements and Balcarras catchment

Post by RedVelvet »

My son is the same year. At the moment I'm just making sure that he understands everything he does at school. Also he's an avid reader so im just letting him read as much as possible (he's the type to sneak a torch under his covers!) After Christmas we'll get a bit more serious, our main issue will be timing and concentration!
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Thanks RedVelvet.

We'll see how we get on at the open evenings this week. Maybe she'll decide she prefers Balcarras anyway, which would save me a lot of time and effort coaching her for the test, as well as being more convenient transport-wise if she goes there. Everyone I speak to seems to think she'd get a good academic education at either school, but there is a part of me that thinks she might do better in an all girls environment, which is why I'm thinking of HSFG.

Still thinking things through and not at all sure which way to go.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi I would agree with going to have a look at schools this year as it all a bit too late as far as GS prep goes to leave it until the start of Yr 6. Have a look at Ribston and SHS as well may be further to travel but there are girls from Cheltenham at both. My DD is in Yr 8 at Ribston and it is a great school for her as she really enjoys Dance and Drama but having said that she seems to be coming on well in all her subjects and loves the school. The competition for GS places is only going to go up as the past few years had lower birthrates Cannot help re Balcarras.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

My eldest is at Tommies and I was wary of the single sex environment, but I have to say he has absolutely thrived there. Couldn't be happier. Once we started looking round it was clear to see where he'd fit in best. Hope you daughter has fun looking round.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

For preparation at this stage, make sure dd knows her times tables really well, and work on vocab (see the lists on here)

We are at the beginning of year 6 now and I wish we had done a bit more vocab work last year.

I went to loads of open days last sept, ds came with me to our top 2 contenders but ds was not really ready and it wasn't that positive for him. (he didn't feel ready for the whole secondary idea) We re-visited the top 2 in the summer open days and that was much better. They grow up a lot in year 5.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I don't think many people would opt for a GS, especially a Gloucester one, if they were in catchment for Balcarras. Look at the A level results if you're in doubt.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Hi Amber, I've had a quick look and can't find the A level results for Balcarras. Do you have a good link that I can look at? Many thanks.
Amber

Post by Amber »

http://www.balcarras.gloucs.sch.uk/results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are last year's. I can't find this year's but certainly in recent years they have done better than at least 3 of the Gloucester grammars, if league tables are your thing. It's also got a great reputation and I know several families who looked no further even though their offspring were what is known as 'grammar school material'.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Thanks Amber, I found those ones aswell but I was hoping to see this year's. Not to worry and thank you for the link.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now