Reading list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shakey

Reading list

Post by shakey »

It seems the main advice is reading, reading and reading some more.
Any suggested reading list for boy aged 9? (Very reluctant reader I'm afraid) :roll:
Brum Mum

Re: Reading list

Post by Brum Mum »

My DS reads a lot, then stops totally. When he stopped, we bought Big Nate and Diary of a Wimpy kid books. This seemed to kick start the reading habit a bit and then we did Beast Quest, How to train your dragon books and then Percy Jackson and the Heroes of Olympus - which he loves.

He loved Michael Morpurgo's Sparrow, but I couldn't get him into the others.

Caveat: This is what I used to get DS into reading again, but there will be better books for improving vocab...
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Try the audio book alternating chapters techniques - as per your other thread.
shakey

Post by shakey »

Okanagan wrote:Try the audio book alternating chapters techniques - as per your other thread.
Thanks for the link Okanagan - I totally forgot to follow that thread. :roll:
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Harry Potter was the key to getting my eldest into reading and he hasn't stopped since, moving onto Anthony Horrowitz and now all sorts including the Twilight books :oops: He liked watching the films of books he'd read too so the carrot of the DVD after the book was good for a while. He still really likes to find a series of books to read - maybe it's the challenge of it or perhaps it's just nice to know that there is more of something you like to come.

I've not quite managed the same success with DS2 who will sit the 11 plus in 2014. He's read nearly all the Dick King-Smith books, lots of Michael Morpurgo and is now reading the David Walliams books but sadly he just doesn't seem to have the reading bug - he'd rather be making something. Can't complain though as he is keen to go the GS (competition with DS1 :lol: ) and understands the need to read and is persevering. I bought him a cute little dictionary the other day to look words up in so we'll see if that helps.

I try to have quiet time after lunch when we all read for half an hour often piled in my bed - this is more for my own pleasure and sanity though!
saram

Post by saram »

My DS1 has always loved reading big fat books, DS2 would not pick up a book unless he had to. Our local librarians (Rugby) were great. We found that he liked picture / comic books eg Asterix, or other stories with pictures, like Captain Underpants - not baby books! He also looks at Guinness World Records and Ripley, and loves joke books. For pleasure, I think he just likes reading snippets rather than long stories. Anything to get them to read. He's doing just fine in English at secondary school!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now