Old Swinford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rukuriro

Old Swinford

Post by Rukuriro »

My DS has always wanted to go to Old Swinford as a boarder for Yr 7. I was wondering if anyone here knows how many applications they get on average for the 44 boarding places they have. Any information would be useful.
muminbrum

Re: Old Swinford

Post by muminbrum »

I don't know numbers but the two boys I know who applied were offered places and they were some way off the qualifying score in the KE exam. As well as an exam they were invited for a taster weekend (post exam I think) which their parents told me was part of the selection process i.e observing how they interacted with others, coped with being away from home etc. And I think there was an interview too.
Rukuriro

Post by Rukuriro »

The exam/assessment is only for day boys (for which there is about 14-16 places or thereabouts). Boarders are interviewed for suitability to board, there is no exam for boarders.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

They both took the exam but I think they were probably undecided about day vs. boarding at that point. One of them took up his place and had just started as a boarder now anyway. From what I hear he is very happy there too. The other family decided boarding was not for them and their son is at KES. My point really was that I don't think it is competitive as some other schools. Good luck to your son - I was always desperate to go to boarding school as a child!
Rukuriro

Post by Rukuriro »

Thank you Muminbrum. What kind of questions should I expect to be asked. Again any info would be greatly appreciated.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

muminbrum wrote:They both took the exam but I think they were probably undecided about day vs. boarding at that point. One of them took up his place and had just started as a boarder now anyway. From what I hear he is very happy there too. The other family decided boarding was not for them and their son is at KES. My point really was that I don't think it is competitive as some other schools. Good luck to your son - I was always desperate to go to boarding school as a child!
Parents often apply for day boarder and then put down for boarding also as back up in case they don't get in via the exam. Quite a few boarders live locally as a result.

Last year for the 16 places they offered into the 30's from the exam.

Boarding places is purely on a suitability to board assessment which includes an interview.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

From what the parents said interview was to make sure the child understood what boarding meant and had thought it through and wasn't being dumped there because it was what the parents wanted!
Rukuriro

Post by Rukuriro »

Thank you Muminbrum.
Rukuriro

Post by Rukuriro »

Spoke to admissions and I was told that they get on average 2 applications for every one place.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

muminbrum wrote:From what the parents said interview was to make sure the child understood what boarding meant and had thought it through and wasn't being dumped there because it was what the parents wanted!
:lol: :lol: :lol: good job they do check! - I think this is the case with most boarding schools, they want the kid to be totally in favour of boarding
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now