OCC Options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

parent2013

OCC Options

Post by parent2013 »

Just wondering what are the options for OCC in Kent.

Judd - no catchment but require top score (within 2-3 marks less)

I am not so sure about other ones - Skinner/Dartford Grammar/Tonbridge - do they have catchment or any other criteria (sibling/dob) if the scores don't tie? I mean if a child scores 420 but lives outside Kent - will they decline and give place to another child who scored 418 but lives next door?

How do they compare among each other academically? I guess it is Skinner, Tonbridge then DG.
bondgirl

Re: OCC Options

Post by bondgirl »

Hi

Dartford GS offer to boys in the Dartford parishes who pass the Kent test, then offer out of catchment on score. DS has just started in Y7 as an OOC and loves it :D You really should go and visit to get a feel for which school would suit your son. We visited Judd and DGS last year and felt DGS was a better "fit" for DS. He loves music and sport and we felt DGS offered great opportunities for both (I'm sure Judd does too btw but DS felt he DGS was "more exciting and fun"!)

I think Skinners is on score and haven't a clue about Tonbridge! Sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.....
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi parent2013

Are you looking for a place for a boy or a girl?

I have a son at Skinners, we live in Kent but about 20 miles away, they only take on score so if your son gets a high score that would be an option for him regardless of where you live. This is their admissions policy http://www.skinners-school.co.uk/prospe ... dmissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they went down to 411 for admission this sept (ie October 2012 11 plus takers)

I think that Judd are the same but this year their cut off score was higher.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I wonder what the journey to skinners would be like from the Orpington Area, anyone know?
salsa

Post by salsa »

bondgirl wrote:Hi

Dartford GS offer to boys in the Dartford parishes who pass the Kent test, then offer out of catchment on score. DS has just started in Y7 as an OOC and loves it :D You really should go and visit to get a feel for which school would suit your son. We visited Judd and DGS last year and felt DGS was a better "fit" for DS. He loves music and sport and we felt DGS offered great opportunities for both (I'm sure Judd does too btw but DS felt he DGS was "more exciting and fun"!)

I think Skinners is on score and haven't a clue about Tonbridge! Sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.....
Hi Bondgirl,
Do you know what percentage or number of spaces is allocated to the OOC? What happens if the children from the Dartford parishes take up all the spaces? Would there be none left for the OOC?
Many thanks
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi salsa

I suppose in theory it could happen that there are no places for OOC boys (I think this is what happened at Dartford Girls two years ago). At the Open Evening I spoke to the DGS admissions officer, Dr Kingham, who was really helpful and she assured me that DS would almost definitely get in even though we're OOC. I don't know the split of Dartford boys to OOCs but you could give them a ring/email. Dr Kingham's email details are on the school website under KS3 admissions. HTH.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you bondgirl!
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Bobmumof3 wrote:I wonder what the journey to skinners would be like from the Orpington Area, anyone know?
I guess the journey isn't great. Judd compared to Skinners is academically better and geographically well placed to commute from Orp. It is only 20 mins by rail and I've seen couple of Yr. 7 children at Orp station in the morning.

However, Skinners is kind of odd location...on the road opposite to Tunbridge Wells Girls Grammar school (if you remember location of Kent exam). It is good 15 mins walk from train station or 3-4 stops by bus. But Tunbridge Wells itself is further down from Tonbridge i.e. additional train time. I hope our DS's get into Olave and make our life easier :)

anotherworriedmum - For a boy. I am not sure if Skinners is boys only or co-ed as I have till now focussed onl the likes of Olaves, Judd & Wilson :) ??
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

parent2013 wrote:anotherworriedmum - For a boy. I am not sure if Skinners is boys only or co-ed as I have till now focussed onl the likes of Olaves, Judd & Wilson :) ??
Thats ok then, I can only help with boys schools! I was hoping someone else would come along if you need girly advice :-)

Good luck!
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Like minded parent2013.

I have a weird feeling it may be the Judd. Well at least I had a dream last night! Lol