Judd Open Days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ladymuck

Judd Open Days

Post by Ladymuck »

So, there are 2 open events - next Wednesday evening and also Monday 21 October for Year 6 boys only.

Is Wednesday evening likely to be a huge bun fight where I won't see anything? Am I best waiting until the results are out and then try to get there on 21st? Frustratingly, ds's head has tried to to do everything that they can to give me "good news" vibes, whilst making it very clear that they can't give me any scores yet. But as we have never discussed Judd, they may not realise that a "pass" is not enough....

Ds's form teacher knows the results too, and I realise that I've shot myself in the foot: he asked me last week whether the indie school that my older son is at was still my preferred school, and I said it was. I wonder whether I would have got more info if I had said Judd instead!

October is going to be a long month. Thankfully ds has some more exams to keep him going :roll: ....
pheasantchick

Re: Judd Open Days

Post by pheasantchick »

The Judd evenings are well organized. Year 7 boys take prospective boys and families on a tour. If you seriously think of going to Judd, I would recommend going on Wednesday.

(Ps. My boy is in year 9 at Judd, so please feel free to ask any questions)
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

I have been on both Judd's open evenings (several times with DS1 + DS2...) and the open morning for Year 6.
Yes, the open evening is quite manic and very crowded while the Y6 open morning is less so since only children with reasonable high scores turn up. You and DS will see the school in action, rather than the displays put on for the open evenings.
If I were you I would skip the open evening and do the open morning.

Good luck!
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Judd are very used to parents phoning up after results day in a panic saying they hadn't visited as they hadn't considered it, and DS's scores are higher than they thought they would be!
If you cant get there, dont worry. If you have a good score on the day they will welcome your visit and you will be shown around during the school day with a handful of other surprised parents (often a nicer way to do it!)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Thank you. We are OOC so I may save the visit for later. I suspect looking at a school when you have a decent chance of a place is a very different experience from looking at it as an " if only".
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

What is parking like for open evening?
I really want to hear the Head's talk, I feel you can tell a lot from that!
Any ideas of timings for the Head's talk?

Problem is I have parents evening at my daughters school at 6.30pm in Brompley, so I am going to be really pushed!

On the other hand I work on the Monday of the other open morning and don't think my own head would allow me the time off!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

You can usually park at the college opposite for open evenings.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Thanks pleasantchick, I was hoping that may be the case!
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I went to the open evening when ds was in Year 5 and it was crowded and rather overwhelming. We returned for the open morning after results and really enjoyed our visit as we were genuinely viewing a potential school. So I too would opt for the open morning.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Unfortunately that isn't an option being a teacher myself. No way would my head give me time off.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now