Tutor required for NLCS coaching

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
suchen

Tutor required for NLCS coaching

Post by suchen »

Hi All,

I am looking for a tutor to coach my daughter for NLCS exams. We live in Edgware so something local will be high appreciated. My daughter finds English little difficult.

Please pm me if you have good recommendations.

Many thanks,

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Legitimate tutors are welcome to advertise their services properly on our website. Please see below.

Note:
  • • Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by clicking here

• Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
abida

Re: Tutor required for NLCS coaching

Post by abida »

Is Hendon park/ Golders green too far for you? Some gentleman tutored my niece and 2 other kids in a group near Hendon park last year. My niece passed Haberdasher Aske and Henrietta barnet, another girl passed the City of London Girls school, and one boy passed Queen Elizabeth barnet school. Dont know if he had any success with NLCS.

If you are interested I will try to collect his contact details and pm you.
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

abida wrote:Is Hendon park/ Golders green too far for you? Some gentleman tutored my niece and 2 other kids in a group near Hendon park last year. My niece passed Haberdasher Aske and Henrietta barnet, another girl passed the City of London Girls school, and one boy passed Queen Elizabeth barnet school. Dont know if he had any success with NLCS.
Does he also continue tutoring after they start at school? Apparently many girls at these top indies are tutored. I wonder whether this is generally individual or if it is group tuition?
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

If they are being tutored at senior school, they are either at the wrong school or the parents are insane.
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

shootmenow wrote:If they are being tutored at senior school, they are either at the wrong school or the parents are insane.
Or maybe both, 11plus prep in North London seems to help you get into that mode :lol:
When you mean tutored, do you mean group sessions?
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Lots of our students carry on past the 11+ because they want to keep going and try for early GCSEs
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

You can't take GCSEs early at NLCS except in your second language (ie Urdu, Mandarin, Japanese if you speak it at home) and only as an external candidate. There are so many ways of getting extra help at the school that outside tutoring is pointless. If a girl just 'didn't get it' in lessons, they can meet with their teacher or just walk into the department office and ask any teacher at any time. Or, they can see a peer tutor or even ask their classmates. One of the amazing things about the way they are taught to learn at NLCS is that the girls can explain the concepts to eachother. DD1 actually gets very excited when a younger girl asks for help. So, no, you don't need tutoring outside.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

shootmenow wrote:You can't take GCSEs early at NLCS except in your second language (ie Urdu, Mandarin, Japanese if you speak it at home) and only as an external candidate. There are so many ways of getting extra help at the school that outside tutoring is pointless. If a girl just 'didn't get it' in lessons, they can meet with their teacher or just walk into the department office and ask any teacher at any time. Or, they can see a peer tutor or even ask their classmates. One of the amazing things about the way they are taught to learn at NLCS is that the girls can explain the concepts to eachother. DD1 actually gets very excited when a younger girl asks for help. So, no, you don't need tutoring outside.

My daughter was at NLCS and had got in on a scholarship - she did not get any extra tutoring and neither did any of her friends.

I know how NLCS works - my comment was about general tutoring as mentioned in an earlier post. Lots of our students choose to carry on as their schools allow early GCSEs.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Sorry. I was relating that post back to OP's question.
abida

Post by abida »

Hello Suchen,

I managed to collect the details of that north london tutor and sent you a pm, please check.

Niece and her family recommended him highly, was told he normally takes new groups around this time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now