The essay on 16th October

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

The essay on 16th October

Post by Ed's mum »

Does anyone know if the essay is only looked at if the VR test results are low and therefore the child is borderline, or is the essay just as important? My feeling is the former. Any info gratefully received.
necevans

Essay

Post by necevans »

Yes you're right, the essay will only be considered is the result of the VR test is borderline.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

We have to wait until 22 October for our essay for the Stratford schools. Is there any chance you would be kind enough to post any tips for us, please?

Clearly, I'm not asking for the questions... :) , just whether we are likely to need to wait again - and how long the essay is! We haven't even found this out yet!

Thanks
teacher

Essay writing

Post by teacher »

Many children in Year 6 are well prepared for the essay part of the test as story writing is revisited in the National Curriculum throught the primay years. Pupils will have covered beginnings, middles and ends and are generally very aware of how to plan. In my humble opinion it would be wise to think about more sophisticated vocabulary, the inclusion ofcomplex sentences and paragraps and a good imaginative take on the title. The SAT's are marked according to a similar criteria.
you should also be aware that there is usually an argument-type question which children will cover in the SAT's prep.
Best of luck!
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

How much time do they get for the essay?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I have read it is 30 minutes.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Essay was 30 mins & had 3 options. Fairly wide ranging topics as they want all children to be able to write so that they can be assessed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now