Post by mystery »

Quote from DfE website re KS2 tests:
"In 2014:

Schools are required to administer the following levels 3-5 tests:

English reading
English grammar, punctuation and spelling
mathematics

Schools may also choose to administer level 6 versions of these tests."

Can anyone tell me of a good series of workbooks / textbooks to use to prepare for levels 4, 5 and 6 reading and similarly for SPAG.

I am wanting specific materials please - not the good rich background stuff like reading, games, baking etc - that's easy. I can do maths beyond KS3 so no probs there either. It's the reading and SPAG bits please - not bothered about writing just yet - but might be soon!
Bobmumof3

Re: Level 5 and 6 reading and spag - workbooks etc

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I'm out at the moment, but will post when I get home.

I found some fab resources last year :-)
ginx

Post by ginx »

My dd2 passed the 11+ but didn't pass any level 6's. Maybe it's our fault, only now have I learned that the ten or so who sat level 6's all had tutoring. I did nothing at all and feel guilty because she was really upset. If I'd known everybody else was practising, I would have possibly done some work with her - but they did loads at school.

However, I don't think it's made a big difference - first maths assessment, week 1 at gs, she's been assessed as working at level 6. Phew.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

ginx wrote:she's been assessed as working at level 6.
That is a very good level. It should mean she achieved level 5, but not level 6. And I would be surprised if your DD's peers who did get level 6 have been assessed as working at level 7.

In my opinion the level 6 papers are pointless, for children. Not enough of the KS3 curriculum is covered for them to assess level 6 properly and while teachers are trying to cover enough to scrape a level 6 mark on the papers, pupils could be doing some wonderful, exciting maths instead.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

wonderwoman wrote:
That is a very good level. It should mean she achieved level 5, but not level 6. And I would be surprised if your DD's peers who did get level 6 have been assessed as working at level 7.

In my opinion the level 6 papers are pointless, for children. Not enough of the KS3 curriculum is covered for them to assess level 6 properly and while teachers are trying to cover enough to scrape a level 6 mark on the papers, pupils could be doing some wonderful, exciting maths instead.
:D

Exactly!
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I think the level 6 maths was brilliant for my dd. she was already a 5a in Year 5. No point in sitting still for a year.
She loved learning new maths concepts in Year 6. She achieved a 6a in the SATs so definitely didn't scrape it!
As for the SPG I practised with her purely as the schools were thrown in the deep end last year so she didn't know a clause from a phrase etc.
she is dyslexic so writing was never going to be brilliant tbh but I only did one book gradually with her starting at Easter.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, wonderwoman and yoyo123. In fact, dd2 has been given three level 6 marks in her maths book, so maybe she just missed a level 6 in year 6 (all those 6's in one sentence).

Maybe she now is a "solid" level 6? Instead of doing lots of practice level 6 papers, she could have done some exciting maths instead - you're right - but she didn't - she did those practice papers.

Good boost for her. Far more importantly, she's even done "neat" work. That's my girl. She must be trying hard. :lol:

Edited to say: maybe I was worrying about nothing in summer when she didn't get a 6.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is no level 6a only a level 6 ...

There is soooo much you can do other than acceleration which has been shown not to be in pupils' best interests.

Mystery - just use http://www.nrich.maths.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; problems linked to the objectives your child is learning.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Bobmum of 3 - when you have got time to dig out those SPAG and reading resources you liked that would be great!

Thanks
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

wonderwoman wrote:

I am sure the fact that DS was working at level 6 maths helped in his appeal (he took and passed the level 6 SAT). He had no tutor / help at home with maths just what he did at school- he enjoyed the extention work in Yr 6 and it has given him confidence starting at Grammar school given we had to go through the appeal process due to non - qualification.
I did think the level 6 reading paper was a waste of time though given 0% of children in the country got it.