Getting the train to Reading School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pickles

Getting the train to Reading School

Post by pickles »

While my son sat the Reading tests on Tuesday I had a walk around Reading including trying out the walk from the station to the school. I was walking quite briskly and it took me 15-20 minutes, past Fordbury Gardens and the prison. I have to confess to feeling a little concerned about my son possibly doing the walk twice a day and, in particular, on dark winter days. I'm sure a lot of boys do it and it's fine but can anyone give me any feedback about how their boys are coping with it? Thanksx
Bewildered

Re: Getting the train to Reading School

Post by Bewildered »

Many students from both Reading and Kendrick School use the train on a daily basis.

They quickly get accustomed to the walk, and usually enjoy the fact that they have contact with the students from the other schools. Some also use the time on the journey to get h/w done! :D

I know many of these boys get invites to the Kendrick Discos through the friendships they build up this way, whilst the others may get 2nd hand invites if at all...

:D

Bw
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

My son cycles in as we're local, but you're right, loads of them do it. More seem to walk through town, which is a nicer route than yours along the IDR :-) I was driving across town this morning and there was a throng of Kendrick girls and Reading boys all together crossing from the back of the Oracle to the bottom of London Street.

He'll also grow up a lot this year, and the idea won't be so daunting next September, I promise you :-)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Beginning of year 6 I couldn't believe my DD would be happy getting on buses herself and going to school. The only thing she was worried about was travelling to school.

Within a couple of days of starting she was quite blasé about the whole thing. You'd think she had been getting the bus her whole life.
pickles

Post by pickles »

Thank you, that is reassuring, obviously academic at this stage but I like to be prepared!!
I just realised that the detour through town would take them past Kendrick as well so I imagine a preferred route for some!
At the moment (again academic, of course) I am toying with local (reasonable)comp, little travel, more time for homework and after school activities vs the journey but then again perhaps the decision will be made for me.
mtpebbles

Post by mtpebbles »

Hi there

I had the same fears when my DS started but as everyone has said there are so many Reading boys walking the station to school route it is easy to tag on to a group (even if your son is shy and doesn't know anyone at the beginning).

They seem to all take it in their stride and after the first couple of weeks you will feel a lot more assured. Also there are buses from the station right to the side gate (R Berks Hosp) of Reading School so if you are still worried he can always opt for the bus. My son does this if he has a particularly heavy load ie books and games kit but he does normally prefer to walk!

Hope this helps to reassure! :)
pickles

Post by pickles »

Thank you everyone and much appreciated x
11+ novice

Post by 11+ novice »

My DS takes the train to reading school and finds going with his friends on the train and walking to school the best part of his day. I was also quite nervous but if you go to reading school at 3:25 you will see loads of them walking towards the train station. He gets tired by the end of the week though.

Good luck with the results, it seems just like yesterday when my DS gave the reading exam.
pickles

Post by pickles »

Thanks 11+ novice (or not so novice!)
Good to hear from people who have been through the same thingx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now