KES or CHB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

equation

KES or CHB

Post by equation »

Another question (mainly so we can liven up debate in Warks forum) :)
Were any dp in the dilemma of choosing between KES (Stratford) and Camp Hill Boys &, if so, what made you decide on one over the other?
Thanks
Eq.
Fatnorville

Re: KES or CHB

Post by Fatnorville »

I felt I couldn't participate in this thread as we live in East Warks, and not "eligible" for KES (unless DS had the ability of an intellectual powerhouse such as Magnus Pike and got in on appeal), and although DS sat the Bham tests, CHB was not a commutable option.

However either through boredom, or curiosity I checked the exam results of both schools. Wow!...particularly for CHB.

If this was a perfect world, I would be happy to send my kids to either (well maybe not my daughter...), but would love to hear what decision making process you are going through (and accepting the results may take that decision from you) to choose between two fantastic schools.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm always keen to liven up any debate in Warwickshire (always seems quiet).

Fatnorville, I think there was a much higher mark needed to get into South Warks schools (it'll be here somewhere - like to get into RHS/LSS here in East Warks, 310 was the score, and about 320 or more to get into South Warks schools).

Leading me to deduce dc in South Warks are very bright - and their schools are brilliant.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ginx wrote:Leading me to deduce dc in South Warks are very bright - and their schools are brilliant.
Or just that there are rather less selective places relative to the population of the priority circle. And the chicken and egg situation that people know this, so the candidates are probably self-selected to a greater extent than they are in the East (as can be seen from the candidate numbers - the South figures aren't much higher than the Eastern ones - despite the area covered by the priority circle being almost 3 times as large). This has the knockon effect that proportionally more of the high scorers are in the South, which further raises the South qualifying scores and depresses those in the East. It's only noticeable because the scores are standardised together. If East and South were standardised separately you'd be a lot less aware of it - just as you don't know how the absolute qualifying standard in East Warwickshire compares to say Buckinghamshire, or Kent.

This imbalance in provision is largely historical - due to the abolition of grammar schools in the central Warwickshire district (Warwick, Leamington, Kenilworth, Southam), but the post Greenwich judgement priority circle for South also including just about all of central, plus some parts of Worcestershire and West Midlands (Coventry/Solihull/Birmingham).
ginx

Post by ginx »

I knew you'd respond, Okanagan, but schools in South Warks do have excellent results and are high up in league tables/top 100 etc, aren't they?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Only as you'd expect really - the more selective the intake, the better the results ought to be. It's not really comparing like with like to compare a school which takes, say the top 5% as it's intake, to one which takes the top 20%. If you took only the students form the East side schools who would have qualified for the Southern area schools and looked at their results you'd probably not see a great difference.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

I recall there was a "debate" last year about the kids in Southern Warks being more intelligent that the kids in East Warks (FACT!), and I don't want to open that "debate" again (particularly as we moved to East Warks earlier this year and am worried that our kids have suddenly lost about 20 points from their IQ'S on completion of contracts...)

I just wanted to acknowledge the excellent schools, and the fantastic but difficult options faced by parents / DC who were able to apply for both.

I never visited CHB but DS sat his exam at KES. Wonderful half timbered buildings. Who cannot fail to fall in love with that?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Death watch beetle certainly will.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

when you are paying (in some cases) £12k for fees p.a (plus extra for frills) versus nothing at CHB, then there has to be a difference somewhere. Its an informed choice we as parents make at 11+. Those of course that are fortunate to be in this position naturally.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

To clear up any confusion, I think equation was referring to the Stratford boys grammar - King Edward Vi - known in Warwickshire as KES, which is a non fee paying state grammar (just like CHB in Birmingham), not the fee paying school in Birmingham, also known there as KES.