Math School Rochester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummblesmum

Math School Rochester

Post by mummblesmum »

I am looking at the Medway Council admission booklet. I notice the Math School went out about 14km last year in distance but in previous years it has been only about 7km. We are in Hoo and am wondering if distance will be an issue for us this year - probably not helped by the bad press for Chatham Grammar. Any thoughts?
Bongo35

Re: Math School Rochester

Post by Bongo35 »

I noticed they have moved the catchment area too, which surprised me. I think its worth a try but at the end of the day you have to remember this school is always oversubscribed so it will always be the nearest first. Thats not to say you shouldn't try. Three years ago a boy I know who lives in the heart of Gillingham got in before the catchment was extended!
mummblesmum

Post by mummblesmum »

Thanks Bongo35. Will probably put it down as it is our nearest school and opposite my DD's school so worth a shot.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

The distance they go out just depends on numbers of applicants vs numbers of places. Last year I think they were only over subscribed by 1 or not at all - a factor of falling numbers in Medway children. I don't know whether this Yr6 is smaller or larger than the previous year, but I think I read somewhere that the numbers carry on falling for a couple more years.

If it is your nearest school, then go for it and I'm sure you'll get it. :)
olucares

Post by olucares »

mummblesmum wrote:I am looking at the Medway Council admission booklet. I notice the Math School went out about 14km last year in distance but in previous years it has been only about 7km. We are in Hoo and am wondering if distance will be an issue for us this year - probably not helped by the bad press for Chatham Grammar. Any thoughts?

Hi Mummblesmum, wondering if your son got into the Math School. I am in Hoo too and wondering if we are not too far away. WIll appreciate your response. thanks