12+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

12+

Post by Guest »

Our son is due to take the 12+ in April 2008. Can anyone advise on where to get practice papers from as we're DIY this time round.
It all seems to be geared up for 11+ :roll:

Post by Guest »

Just noticed Lucy asked this question earlier in the year and Catherine asked for region :oops: . Our son will take his 12+ in Bucks. Maybe Sally-Anne or njg could give an idea of when they started preparing and with what.
Any help gratefully received.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If it's Bucks do a search as there is a lot of information posted. Mian differences are 85 questions in 45 minutes and the format of the answer sheet - otherwise use the material as for 11+.

GOOD LUCK -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

Somehow I missed this thread because it was moved! My apologies.

Was your son coached heavily for the 11+? That makes a difference because he will not need anywhere as much coaching for the 12+ if so.

I personally recommend taking a more relaxed approach to the 12+. Many of the children, especially those who were near misses (116+) really do not need further coaching, just "warming up" again.

I would start no earlier than January. Use the Tutors VR CD 1 to start with (instant download from this site if you want it). Use the results from those tests periodically (every week or so) to identify any problem areas and address them.

Once he seems fairly consistent on all types, introduce the IPS papers. They are really excellent, as they are shorter than the real things, but mirror the Bucks 11+ very well.

If any problem questions emerge from there, go back to the Tutors CD for specific practice. If you run out of practice on a particular type you can always buy CD2.

One word of warning - the CDs can never replicate the Code questions as well as having pencil and paper will. Ask your son to focus on solving the question, rather than worrying about time on those questions, but keep a very sharp eye open for his performance on those questions on the IPS papers when he has pencil and paper to hand.

Please do post back if we can help you further in any way, especially on the Codes or the 12+ process.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Thank you Guest 55 and Sally-Anne, for that useful info. I'm a bit concerned about the different format of the answer sheet. Our son is very literal and if he's practiced 11+ papers with the marking of a box, the new format of actually putting letter or number answers, as required in the 12+ (I think) could throw him in test conditions.
This is why I'm hoping to find an actual 12+ past paper so he can see the different format.
Is there anywhere I can buy an actual 12+ paper?
Thanks again for any help.

Post by Guest »

By the way, our son had an hour coaching a week from January (nothing over the summer) for the 11+ and got scores of 118 and 120 - failed appeal due to our mistakes and inexperience and we hadn't found this site by then! :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Guest - you cannot get a past paper for the 12+ - Admissions send you some sample questions [about 5] which are almost useless.

It does introduce an extra step in the process which I was concerned about for my child - but the results showed it was not as much of an issue as I expected. Child now happily settled in GS.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

From the next to useless stuff you are sent (agree with guest55 wholeheartedly on that) you should be able to construct a sample answer paper for your son for the practice questions.

None of the children were fazed by the different format this year, if that helps to put your mind at rest. Just talk it through with him carefully.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Thanks again for all your help, Guest 55 and Sally-Anne - will let you know how he does (fingers crossed for a good result this time.)
Cosmos

12+ London Area

Post by Cosmos »

Dear Sally Anne,

Apart from Bucks do you have any idea if there is 12+ in the London area? I know all the indies have it but any grammar that you know?
Any help will be much appreciated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now