Any pros who know about sprains?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pist

Any pros who know about sprains?

Post by pist »

Hi there,

My daughter sprained her ankle last week. It is not a bad sprain and she was told at A and E that if she could feel no problem over the weekend she could go to practice on Sunday (but NOT if she could feel the tiniest thing). However at the moment the ankle is still a little sore so I have not yet let her do any sports.

She is VERY sporty and plays on various teams in different sports (in and out of school) and her pe teacher is putting pressure on her to get back to pe lessons +after school clubs. (she walks fairly normally now, so the sprain doesn't really show)

She can't wait to get back on the pitch, but I am worried that if she goes back too soon this could take ages. I am also worried that the moment she starts sports again it will be completely full on. ie pe most 3 days a week, but after school sports almost every day including match + 2 (2-3 hour) training sessions over the weekend.

Is there anybody out there who can help - How much time should you take off for a fairly mild sprain? Should she wait till there is no pain/irritation at all? ...and would it not be sensible to be a bit selective about which sessions to attend at first?

Hope someone can help, I'm a mum under pressure here :roll:
talea51

Re: Any pros who know about sprains?

Post by talea51 »

I am not qualified at anything medically but I am a mum with a child who gets soft tissue injuries frequently so I have lots of experience with sprains, strains and also, unfortunately, with breaks.

My advice would be to take it slowly. Never go back from nothing to doing everything otherwise there is a risk of re-injury to the joint. Only if she has no pain at all, let her try PE and see how it goes. If there is any pain or swelling, stop immediately. If PE is OK this week, then let her add further activites slowly, one at a time. You have to be guided by whether there is any pain or swelling. As long as there isn't, then the joint is fine. If there is, then that is a signal to stop. If there is any swelling, then rest, ice, compress and elevate the joint.

Hope that helps.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi there, not a medical expert but have experienced similar, I can only say that my keenness to get back too soon made things worse... (a lot worse) . You have really answered all of your own questions.
Something I have learned as I have grown up- listen to your body, your rest is just as important as your exercise. :-)
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Ankle sprains and such like are normally self-limiting injuries so if it feels OK it probably is.

That said, it rather depends on the sport – if it's netball/basketball/gymnastics for example your DD needs to be able to jump and land without pain, if there is still a weakness there the ankle is more likely to pronate on landing and cause further damage, or at least discomfort. If it's hockey/football/lacrosse ideally she should be able to sprint at top speed without pain, certainly before she plays a match.

If she has an understanding PE teacher at school (I know, I know not something they are famous for… :D ), she could try light training and see how it goes but only if she feels confident enough to stop if there is a reaction. HTH
pist

Post by pist »

Thanks everyone! you have confirmed what my gut instinct was screaming loud and clear.
I shall deal with pe teacher (and daughter) with more resolve!
:?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I didn't look after sprains etc when I was a kid and played lots of sport.
PE teacher was of the opinion you could walk off a broken leg, :roll: and I sort of went with that at the time.
I still have back problems after spraining it throwing javelins at the tender age of 15.

As much as I encourage my own DD to do sport, I'd also encourage her to look after her self better than I did when it comes to injuries.

Btw, first aid for sprains is RICE I believe.
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Sorry, only just spotted this.

Initial treatment as previously stated RICE.

Once the swelling is down and the joint relatively painfree she needs to:
1) ensure full range of movement of the ankle (compare to other side) intially exercise non weight bearing and with no resistance.
2) next strangthen muscles- calf raises initially both legs together then affected only, resisted exercises especially of the in/ out movements (this is best done with theraband, elastic exerciseband if you can get it)
3) she needs to re-educate the balance response otherwise she is at risk of repeated injury. Balancing on 1 leg, eyes open , then eyes closed. Try throwing and catching a ball at the same time. Once this is easy on a firm surface try on a less stable one such as a trampoline.

Hope it improves soon.
pist

Post by pist »

Thank you Minesatea - just saw your post, we did RICE to begin with (although, goodness knows why, but DD has an aversion to the elevation bit so needs policing :? )
Ankle better now, but not fully back to normal so beginning the exercises you suggested tomorrow- Thanks again!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now