2 possible answers to a question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
selena

2 possible answers to a question

Post by selena »

Many thanks to all who helped me with the LOG IN question. I now have another: what happens if there are 2 possible answers to a question?
In a Susan D test paper the words learn and sea had to be made into 2 new words. The answer booklet said to move the letter L making the two new words earn and seal. Howerver, my daughter chose r which makes lean and sear. Her answers are correct as both words are in the dictionary.
Would she get this wrong? I believe her answers are just as correct as the others. Is the paper checked thoroughly to make sure that there are no indiscrepencies like this? And how as parents are we to know that these questions don't appear? Does the school have any say if there is an issue? Advice wouls , as always, be most appreciated!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Selena

The Bucks papers are very thoroughly trialled and tested before they are used. I have never heard a report of there being a real ambiguity of the types you have found in the real 11+. Trick questions designed to trip the kids up yes, ambiguities, no.

By contrast, almost all VR papers have some errors or ambiguities in them. They are eventually ironed out, but that may not be until the next print run, and can only be corrected if people advise the author.

I am slightly surprised that is still an ambiguity in a Susan D paper, as they have been around for a quite a while. However, we used them a couple of years ago and did find a few errors dotted here and there.

Good luck to your daughter!

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

I seem to remember my son giving the same answer as your daughter to that question a couple of months ago. His tutor marked it as correct and assured me that the issue would never arise in a real test
selena

Post by selena »

That is comforting to know!