Would you do it again?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Juancurt

Would you do it again?

Post by Juancurt »

Would you do it all again?
Go through this process? Do you really think it been worth it?

I would be interested to hear your opinions.

I have done it twice in subsequent years with one deemed selective and one not and yes I would do it again.
Ziggy

Re: Would you do it again?

Post by Ziggy »

Yes I think I would. It keeps all options open. I do wish there wasn't so much pressure on the kids though.
rosehulk

Post by rosehulk »

I think it is worth it as my child is much more confident now
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Definitely. It was challenging both for parents and the child but worth all the hard work. The knowledge and experience that they have gained will help them in years to come.
ginx

Post by ginx »

We have four children, first didn't pass, second didn't even sit the 11+, (no chance), third passed, to our great surprise.

Fourth is very confident and doing ok at school so we'll do it again. Little practice and no pressure. It's good to broaden their education if they want to do it, and they are able to, and if they're motivated. And I would feel happiest if my ds passed with minimal tutoring so I know he is capable himself. That's not to say we won't help him, of course we will.

However, he's just started year 3, by year 5 we may have changed our minds. If he has no chance, there's no point. But I think he will try the 11+, with a very slim chance of passing (not many dc pass who don't read books).

But it is stressful. I can remember thinking all summer holidays a year ago, "we should be doing a practice paper" far more than we ever did any practice papers. And waiting for the results, as most of you are now, is stressful too. Everyone wants their dc to pass.
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Yes, both my DC are avid readers, and although the exam and wait for results have tried the patience of the whole family, it was definitely worth it. Despite change of exam format, DD did almost as well as DS, and I think in the end it is all a confidence issue. Luckily, no more DC to go. :wink:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm from another region ( Kent), and have done it twice. If I thought the child was capable of passing, and would suit Gs, then I would.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Not from Bexley and Bromley, form Bucks. Our results come out today. At the moment I would say NO! it has been very stressful for my DD. However I may change my mind once we get the results :?:
mumofboy

Post by mumofboy »

Tinkus-Pinkus wrote:Not from Bexley and Bromley, form Bucks. Our results come out today. very stressful for my DD. However I may change my mind once we get the results :?:
As Tinkus-Pinkus, we are from Bucks. It was very stressful for us, even more then with my first child (with the change of the test). But I would do anything to give a better education to my child. My answer is: Yes.
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

Just popping over from Essex-Redbridge :D - good question!

We would do it again, depending upon the ability of the dc.
There are positives, regardless of the result, such as :

nurturing stamina (mental & physical) & stoic patient perseverance,
Sharpening analytical ability,
Acclimatisation to the reality of a competitive world,
Getting used to taking exams,
Setting goals & trying to follow through :lol: ,
Positivity I.e. Dealing with negatives in life e.g. Results & emotions,
Increased breadth & depth of the learning experience e.g. Exposure to new skill sets,
Learning of human nature types e.g. Selfish vs. altruistic,
Comprehending the fact that united we are stronger (synergy :lol: ) e.g. Families & friends, communities,
Learning about the education,

Whether we "could" as opposed to "would" is another matter of course :P

We are awaiting our results from today (Friday); so best of luck to all God willing, & may your dcs show themselves to be your all-round hidden gems in the long term.

Value them for who they are, not for what they are & what material things they give back. For these are just short term selfish ephemera - love & good character are not metrics that are shown on the 11+ results sheets.

Sorry, for getting a bit deep there :roll:
The good guys always win in the end - Up, up & away...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now