How clever do you have to be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anxiousmum

How clever do you have to be?

Post by anxiousmum »

I wonder if any one can help. We live in St Albans and have just realised the my Y6 son is eligible to apply to Parmiter's.
But up until today we did not anticipate him having to take any entrance exams.
He is bright and about a level 5 on the Sats scale.
But do you
a) think that is high enough
b) think it's worth trying seeing as we haven't done any preparation up to this point
c) are these places really for gifted and talented only?

any advice gratefully received
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

grammar schhool generally considered tobe teh top 20%(ish)

Gifted and talented teh top 10%.

Level 5 is above the expected level for end of year6.

I'd say go for it. There is a wealth of information and material on this site and people are willing and supportive.
watmum

Post by watmum »

I too would say "what have you got to lose" by having a go? Presumably your only tick on the application will be for entrance by test, or is he able to apply with the music criteria too? I would say you are too far out to apply on distance obviously. It is regrettable that only 25% are now taken in on test, it was 35% previously, and this will obviously make it harder for you. People do tutor like CRAZY for this test too, an acquaintance had her girl tutored for two whole school years twice a week to get her into Parmiter's!! (she did get in too!)

Best of luck
WP

Post by WP »

It is tough: over a thousand children competing for 46 academic and 18 music places. But if you have a safe backup and haven't already filled your 3 preferences, there's nothing to lose. At least you don't have to compete with the younger siblings of those that have already got in.
anxiousmum

thanks

Post by anxiousmum »

Thanks for your replies but after seeing the school alst night we have decided it's not the one for us.
watmum

Post by watmum »

phew, that's one less worry for you then! Good luck with what ever you do decide to go with, all the better if you can avoid a test at all I say, (not that that is easy in the Watofed area!)
Going for it

Post by Going for it »

I agree with Watmum & WP - if you like the school (which I know you didn't!) why not go for it!

My yr 6 daughter has just decided she wants to try for Parmiters. We hadn't even been considering this route as have always had an excellent catholic secondary in mind. A rule change has now meant we can put that school second & still get in, so my daughter has decided to try for Parmiters.

She ticks all the boxes on paper - level 5 in year 5, G&T etc, but has not been tutored at all. Her current primary school won't help prepare her.

My daughter is gloriously level headed about it - she wants to give it a shot but says it really doesn't matter as she will still go to a good school even if she doesn't pass. After reading some of the posts on here about stressed children, I feel very blessed. Of course I know I have a good back up school too, which I know you don't all have.

Good luck to you all!
WP

Post by WP »

Going for it wrote:My yr 6 daughter has just decided she wants to try for Parmiters. We hadn't even been considering this route as have always had an excellent catholic secondary in mind. A rule change has now meant we can put that school second & still get in, so my daughter has decided to try for Parmiters.

She ticks all the boxes on paper - level 5 in year 5, G&T etc, but has not been tutored at all. Her current primary school won't help prepare her.
Best of luck to you and your daughter! I would recommend some familiarization and practice with verbal reasoning tests (sounds like she's OK with maths). The practice materials the consortium send out are ludicrously inadequate. The tests will be standard format, from NFER, who provide a small number of familiarization papers. Athey papers can also be used for practice.
Going for it

Post by Going for it »

Many thanks WP. I had just bought some Bond papers but will now try to get some NFER ones instead!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now