New grammar school via an annex - to be or not to be?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

New grammar school via an annex - to be or not to be?

Post by mystery »

For those of you who are following the story of whether a grammar annex will happen in Sevenoaks, Kent or not -- it could have national significance one presumes.

Here is my potted history so far -- it may not be entirely accurate.

- it is not possible to start up a new selective school but academies etc can expand if they wish to - over a certain size of expansion and they have to get permission from the DfE

- an e-petition to Kent County Council was successful in April 2012 in triggering a council debate for having a grammar annex in Sevenoaks. The Council agreed to do something or other to try and make it happen (can't remember the exact wording)

- some kind of consultation of schools took place at some point that year - see this link--- http://www.ico.org.uk/~/media/documents ... 84122.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- not a public consultation I don't think - I spotted this link in passing on the ICO website when I was trying to look up something else entirely unrelated

- earlier on in 2013 Kent County Council announced that its "preferred partner" for the grammar annex was Invicta Grammar school in Maidstone and that they were sending in expansion proposals in the form of an annex in Sevenoaks to the DfE for approval

- there was stuff on the internet saying that it was only Invicta that could have the building paid for by Kent County Council as they had been chosen by Kent Councty Council

- Weald of Kent grammar in Tonbridge then put in a proposal too and it has been said, not sure where, that whichever expansion the DfE agrees to (if any) the building will be paid for by KCC

- now waiting to hear from the DfE if either school is going to be allowed to expand in this way. Both annexes would be 6 form entry -- it would be the same building design whichever school is accepted to expand in this way

- Sevenoaks also has a new building being constructed for the Knole Academy and a new building being constructed for the first ecumenical free school in the UK. The grammar annex, if agree to, would be be constructed alongside the new free school building
tiffinboys

Re: New grammar school via an annex - to be or not to be?

Post by tiffinboys »

The Government should take the bold step and allow selective free schools (grammar in another name).
mystery

Re: New grammar school via an annex - to be or not to be?

Post by mystery »

That is another issue. If you were going to do that you would surely have to allow existing schools to go selective if there was sufficient support? Wasn't that possible donkeys years ago under a labour government.

You were the only person to reply to my thread.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now