Extra voluntary contributions

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Extra voluntary contributions

Post by Guest »

What is the average voluntary contribution asked at most grammar schools, I hear some schools ask as much as £300.

Post by Guest »

£300 sounds a bargain - I think St Michaels holds the record £500 - 2000
they have a building program. Whatever they ask and it is your children while at school who will benefit first it should be set against the cost of securing the same education privately £9-15000 pounds.
Its a little over a fiver a week - make it a covenant and they can reclaim the tax - I mean it's easy to be horrified because its the state sector but to be honest its mock horror.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

£300 sounds a bargain - I think St Michaels holds the record £500 - 2000
they have a building program. Whatever they ask and it is your children while at school who will benefit first it should be set against the cost of securing the same education privately £9-15000 pounds.
Its a little over a fiver a week - make it a covenant and they can reclaim the tax - I mean it's easy to be horrified because its the state sector but to be honest its mock horror.
QEB asks for a covenant of £60/month or else as much as a family can afford. Given what they have build in the last few years, it is true value for money!
sj355
Stig

Post by Stig »

Watford Boys asks for £30/month. However it is vountary and there is no obligation to pay.
WP

Post by WP »

Stig wrote:Watford Boys asks for £30/month. However it is vountary and there is no obligation to pay.
Indeed, compulsory contributions would be illegal. There is an obligation (or at least pressure) to return the form, though.
Imogen

Post by Imogen »

My child school asks for compulsary contibutons. Where could I find the text of the legal document that refers to contributions, please WP?
WP

Post by WP »

Imogen wrote:My child school asks for compulsary contibutons. Where could I find the text of the legal document that refers to contributions, please WP?
Sections 449-462 of the Education Act 1996 list the prohibitions and specific exemptions. It's convoluted language, but it essentially prohibits asking for contributions for normal education (s451) unless it is made clear that the contributions are voluntary (s460). There are exemptions for individual or small group music tuition, out-of-hours trips beyond the curriculum, etc.

Have they put this in writing?
Anon

Post by Anon »

At our Bucks grammar the suggested contribution has just been raised from £60pa - at which I understand it has stood for several years - to £75pa. It is voluntary and, in practice, I have no idea how many give and how much.

The facilities are excellent and there is a constant programme of improvements.

Post by Guest »

they are attemtptng to raise them at qe from 50 a month to 70
Ritsy

Post by Ritsy »

But I think even if it is raised to £70/£75 per month, its still excellent for what education/facilities the boys are exposed to at QE in comparison to to the independent schools and the fees paid there.. The contributions are being put to good use and for anyone in doubt, just attend the AGM and you'll hear for yourself!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now