Bucks review process questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gilly10

Bucks review process questions

Post by gilly10 »

Hi, After a very disappointing score of 99 in 11+ test, I am now completing the Selection Review Form. My daughter got all level 5's at end of yr5 (5a for maths). She is working above these levels now. Head teacher agrees she is totally suitable for grammar system and will support us. However we have no extenuating circumstances! Can anyone tell me if it is worth beginning this process as academic evidence is so strong or with no extenuating circumstances, will it just be an outright no? Also, is her score just too low to be considered? When do parents hear if selection is successful - is it March'14? If they pass review do they have an equal qualification into grammar as a pass in test or are they lower down the selection criteria? So many questions - thanks for any answers and advice!
Etienne

Re: Review process questions

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

I'll move this to Appeals where we can give more detailed help regarding reviews & appeals.

First of all, have you followed all the links here?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you clear about the differences between a review and an appeal?

An appeal panel would have the opportunity to discuss everything with you, and might possibly be able to pinpoint something that hadn't even occurred to you. I suspect a review panel would simply be left wondering what exceptional circumstances could have caused such a shortfall in the score.

There was a discussion about 'exceptional' circumstances here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=34259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The totality of the academic evidence is important (for a review or for an appeal).
Do you have most of what is listed here?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In particular I would be interested to know of any alternative reasoning tests (CATs, for example).

I would be interested to know what the headteacher's recommendation is.
If the recommendation for academic potential was a 1, how many of the 1's at the school actually qualified?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Level 5s at the end of year 5 is very encouraging.
Have the levels been consistent over the years? For example, 3As at Key Stage 1?
Has your daughter always been stronger at maths?

Does she work quickly and accurately, or does she prefer to work carefully and conscientiously?

Does your primary school perform particularly well at SATs?

When do parents hear if selection is successful - is it March'14? If they pass review do they have an equal qualification into grammar as a pass in test or are they lower down the selection criteria?
Selection review results will be issued in advance of National Allocation Day (which will be on 3rd March next year), and anyone who qualified at review will be treated in exactly the same way as anyone who qualified via the 11+.
Etienne
gilly10

Re: Bucks review process questions

Post by gilly10 »

Thank you Etienne for your helpful reply. Yes I have spent hours reading all the links. The main dilemma is we have the academic evidence and head support but we have no extenuating circumstances and so shall we go to review with a score of 99 and no suggestion as to what could have gone wrong but a great academic record. Or shall we go to appeal and may pass on her academia but school places are allocated by that late date. She has consistently achieved very good academic results. I don't understand why extenuating circumstances are important in a review but not fundamental in an appeal? Decisions, decisions..... she's just so bright, I can't believe I'm in this situation but know I'm one of many. Her maths and english have always been equally strong but her maths slightly took off last year perhaps because she studied with the yr above so expectations were high and she met them. You asked how she works - she works in all those ways depending on the task at hand. Many thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

OK - Glad you've done your homework! :)

There was no mention of 'appeal' in your opening post, so it wasn't clear whether the issue was 'review or appeal' or whether to proceed at all.

We know that an appeal panel prepares for batches of around just 5-7 cases at a time, and spends at least 40-50 minutes hearing, discussing and deciding on each case.

Review panels decided on something like 30-50 cases per half-day session last year, having spent an average of 7 minutes (they say) preparing each case.
It gets worse, though - Sally-Anne heard from a reliable source that the last of the 20 Selection Review Panels met early in the week in which the results were posted to parents last year - a mad dash for the finish line?
The meeting was scheduled to last 3 hours and in that time the panel was due to consider 60 cases. 3 minutes per case!

Is there much doubt which system is going to give your case the most thorough and careful consideration?

On the other hand, you're right to point to the fact that a successful review has the benefit of inclusion in the first round of allocations.
If you were thinking of skipping the review and going straight to appeal, you have to consider carefully
    • (a) whether your preferred grammar schools are likely to be undersubscribed (Chesham Grammar, for example, or Sir Henry Floyd - both excellent schools), or alternatively
Among the uncertainties is the fact that if you were to go through an unsuccessful review, you have no way of knowing in advance whether an appeal panel will judge the review to have been 'fair, consistent & objective'. It was clear from reports on the forum last year that different panels arrived at different decisions! If you were lucky enough to have a panel that judged the review process not to be 'fair, consistent & objective', you would have your case for qualification considered again.
Moreover
    • if your qualification appeal were to be successful, and
    • if the school was oversubscribed, and
    • if you would have got a place in the allocations but for a flawed review
(lots of if's there!), then it's arguable that the admission arrangements were not correctly applied, and that because there has been maladministration you should now be offered the place to which you are entitled.
(Whether a particular appeal panel would accept the argument, I can't say - but in the event of an unsuccessful oversubscription appeal, it's a point that would be well worth pursuing with the EFA.)

I wish I had some easy answers for you, but I'm afraid there aren't any. It's a gamble. A cruel system in my view.

Most parents will opt for a review simply because it comes first ...........
Etienne
gilly10

Post by gilly10 »

Okay thanks very much Etienne for your time and help. I think we will go to appeal based on the likelihood that a review will be pointless without an extenuating circumstance. Thanks again!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We never advise one route rather than another on the forum, simply because there are no easy answers when agonising over 'review or appeal'. We can only say “Whatever you do will be a bit of a gamble – just be aware of all the issues which no one else will be telling you about”!

You should still ask your headteacher for a selection review summary sheet because you'll need it for appeal purposes. Scroll down to "Advice" here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne