please help a desperate mum with scoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nina

please help a desperate mum with scoring

Post by nina »

Please can someone help i am getting my self in a right state trying to work out this scoring system i still dont know what to think, My daughters teacher told us that they take the highest paper and double the score but people are telling me this is not true , please can someone tell me if my daughter did well on paractice she was 10y10m on day of test and her practice papers were averaging about 62 out of 80, would this be a pass???? please someone help thanks you the teachers have told her this would be a pass but other people are telling me no my daughter now thinks she will pass easily:( her stats are very good and is top of school with 5 and 4a i am so upset the teachers have told her this
dinoo

dinoo

Post by dinoo »

Hi Nina,

Bucks consist of 2 exams VR. The Best score paper counts and the low score paper is discarded. 62 out of 80 on practice paper means 78% which is not a good score. You require 86% to pass the Bucks exams.

While in Berks 3 papers consist of NVR, VR and Maths these 3 papers are added together and divided by 3 min of 117 for Langley, 111 for Herschel and Slough Grammar school required to get through.....
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Nina, while it may not be the score that your child ideally needs, it is not a poor score. Don't be put off. Some children pull it out of the bag on the day. Listen to what your child's teacher has told you. The school knows your child well and has presumably got a very accurate picture of the sort of child who passes.
I couldn't read any further posts on this matter without sending this to you. Explain to your child that it is important to do the best that she can but that you will love her whatever happens. Boost her confidence and tell her that her teacher knows it is possible for her to pass.
DO let her attempt the test unless you feel that she is not suited to the school or that it will break her if she doesn't quite score enough. maybe even discuss with her that some children sometimes don't do as well as they hope to and ask her if she is prepared to take that risk.
A good indicator is whether your child sits in the top groups/tables at school. 8)
nina

scoring

Post by nina »

Thank you for your kind words , i am sitting here so upset at min i feel like crying for her you see she wants to go go aylesbury high school so much, she does well in school and i now the teacher said she will appeal but still my daughter thinks she will pass as she was told her scores were great i even have a letter from the teacher showing me how they work the score out and she said they take the highest paper and double the score:( which is not true, we have done so many papers and was led to believe that every paper she took was a pass she was so happy, i just dont know what to do. Her stats year 5 was 1 "5" and rest "4a" she has highest in school, and also noone in 4 years has passed there 11 plus at this school and she was told could be the first, i mean what do i do now? warn her in advance that we was told was not true, or let her continue to believe that she will pass?? i am devestated her teachers could get it so wrong:(
nina

scoring

Post by nina »

Oh and she taken the test so no going back now:(
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I wouldn't tell her that she probably WON'T pass.
Say that for some reason no one else from the school has ever passed but that she COULD have passed but maybe not and that this is not a reflection on her, merely the system.
Wherever she goes she will do well, and to coin a phrase 'cream always rises to the top'
She is above average with these scores for her SATs. Please remember that she will not fail in life if she doesn't get into her chosen school.
I 'passed' the 12+ years ago and did less well in my GCSEs than my friend who was clever but didn't 'pass.' She did better because she was in the top stream in her school and I was often in the bottom. Think how much more confidence she felt compared with me. It was a huge shock to me to no longer know that I was as clever as everyone else.
Start to slip mentions of the other school(s) that she may go to next year. Talk positively about it/them. Start to feel more positive about the other options in your head too, just in case. This is what I am trying to do at the moment!
nina

scoring

Post by nina »

the only other non grammer school she like is mandiville which is so far for me go as i dont drive i dont know how i would get her there, so i might not even be able to send her to that,what a mess this all is i guess all we can do is pray :)
laid back son worried mum

Re: scoring

Post by laid back son worried mum »

nina wrote:Oh and she taken the test so no going back now:(
As you said, nina, there is no going back. Just look forward now . I can feel your sheer disappointment for your daughter as she has very high hopes.

But you can only now be strong for her. Wipe your tears and make sure you are there when she comes home from school with a big smile on your face. You don't have to talk much about it anymore as it's done. But come nearer the time, you can gently bring up all your other thoughts and put it to her what other options might come into play.

You can prepare yourself and then her later on. It is us parents who have to go through all this for our children when and if they suffer any kind of disappointment or hurt.

You can always come back here for moral support and also if you do have to go the other routes and she doesn't make the pass, there are good people here who will guide you.

Hope you have a well deserved treat yourself as you have worried so much for her.

Best wishes.

LBSWM
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'll be thinking of you. When do you find out?
nina

socres

Post by nina »

nov 23rd, thanks all for your help and understanding i will keep coming here as i think being here will help