Breakdown of VR and NVR results for appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chester

Breakdown of VR and NVR results for appeal

Post by Chester »

I have sent some confidential information to the Appeals Box but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of getting a breakdown of the verbal and non verbal scores which make up the overall result of the 11+ test.

Our DS sat a VR and NVR paper and missed the standardised score of 220 by 23 marks. He has problems with visual memory and differentiating patterns and shapes but manages to be within average for his year at maths and is above average in reading and writing. He has a slow processing speed (according to a report done at school by STAPS) and difficulties with non verbal reasoning. This however was only identified right at the end of Year 5 and he didn't qualify for any extra time to sit the papers.

We are considering appeal but would only do so if we knew that his marks were lost mainly on NVR.

Has anyone else had experience of this?
Etienne

Re: Breakdown of VR and NVR results for appeal

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for your message, Chester, and welcome.

If the school initially refuses you the information, then I think it likely you are legally entitled to the individual scores under the Data Protection Act.

There was a similar sort of question here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... mmissioner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Etienne
Chester

Post by Chester »

Thanks Etienne.

I have found out that the VR was 3 marks below the standardised pass mark of 110 and the NVR was 20 below.

I thought this would make my decision easier about whether to appeal or not but now I'm not sure. I know that there will be others just a few marks below the overall pass that will be appealing so I feel they have a better chance than us in what will be an already over subscribed school. I also assume that they don't necessarily have to hear all appeals and we might not even get to that point?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Whether or not it's worth appealing depends on the strength of your case, and on some unpredictable factors.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, all timely appeals must be heard as a batch, and no decisions taken on any case until all those appeals have been heard.
Etienne
Chester

Post by Chester »

Thanks again. Yes I feel our case has to be strong as DS was more than just a few marks off the score. I spoke to the admissions department and they were of the opinion that most appeals they hear are from those who pass but are not offered a place for whatever reason - being OOA I assume.

I think we will be a climbing a mountain as essentially we will have to argue that this particular form of testing did not reflect the ability of our child. We spoke to his teacher last night and he will be part of a small group in is class working towards level 6 for reading. I almost wish we could appeal without DS knowing.