Question for Sixth Form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rochika_agrawal

Question for Sixth Form

Post by rochika_agrawal »

Hi,
I wanted to know does a child get the entry to Sixth Form (in the same grammar school) automatically or do they have to take a test for Sixth Form even in the same school.

Thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: Question for Sixth Form

Post by hermanmunster »

rochika_agrawal wrote:Hi,
I wanted to know does a child get the entry to Sixth Form (in the same grammar school) automatically or do they have to take a test for Sixth Form even in the same school.

Thanks in advance.
Most GS will have a GCSE requirement into the sixth form - usually an overall level of so many GCSEs at whatever grade and specific higher grades for the ones that they want to take at A level
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Furthermore, most also have an AS requirement at the end of Y12 for progression to A2
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

At my son's GS, boys must have a B in English GCSE to qualify for the sixth form. They might have all A stars in all their other subjects but without a B in English they have to leave the school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Rob Clark wrote:Furthermore, most also have an AS requirement at the end of Y12 for progression to A2
:oops: didn't know that - passed us by
rochika_agrawal

Post by rochika_agrawal »

hermanmunster wrote:
rochika_agrawal wrote:Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Most GS will have a GCSE requirement into the sixth form - usually an overall level of so many GCSEs at whatever grade and specific higher grades for the ones that they want to take at A level

This means the for Sixth Form the Grammar School looks for GCSE grades and they don't take a test like they do for Entry in Yr 7.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There is no test - just some published GCSE requirements.

For example my DS's GS was grade B average on GCSE and then the published requirements for each of the specific A levels. So child may be allowed to do some A levels but not others , eg not Maths with a C at GCSE
Amber

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote:
Rob Clark wrote:Furthermore, most also have an AS requirement at the end of Y12 for progression to A2
:oops: didn't know that - passed us by
I would say 'some do'. Round here most do not, including, as far as I know, all the grammar schools.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I would say 'some do'. Round here most do not, including, as far as I know, all the grammar schools.
Oh well, I stand corrected then. Around here (Bucks) they all seem to – GS, upper schools and independents, albeit that those requirements can differ considerably. I hadn't realised that it varied from area to area, apologies for misleading anybody.

Herman, in light of Amber's post maybe it's not the case in your area either rather than passing you by… :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

TBH Rob - could have passed me by, some things in 6th form were strictly on a "need to know" basis!!! :lol:

... I was a aware of a few boys though who were "advised " to drop the 4th AS at the end of year 12.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now