DS was distracted by friend during exam

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wizz29

DS was distracted by friend during exam

Post by Wizz29 »

My DS sat his 11+ yesterday and during the exam. An older boy he knows, who attends the school already, saw him through the window and they waved to one another -DS does not have a statement but he has ADHD and this "waving" event took his mind of his work for quite a while he says . Naturally I am worried it will affect the outcome and would appreciate any advice - do I need to mention it to anyone now or wait until we get his result? thanks in advance
pheasantchick

Re: DS was distracted by friend during exam

Post by pheasantchick »

Get proof now. Did the teacher see it?
Wizz29

Post by Wizz29 »

DS says no but we know the child who saw him - he is in the sixth form there
Wizz29

Re: DS was distracted during exam question for Etienne pleas

Post by Wizz29 »

Also I am wondering why it was possible for the friend to see him anyway? Surely these aren't proper exam conditions?
I am wondering if I should call the school and ask them if the teacher was aware? DS said it wasn't noticed - part of his worry was that it would be - my dS was able to wave back and thought he might get in trouble
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I would speak to the school now.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Email the school and start a paper trail now before results come out. Hopefully the invigilator noticed and it will be on the log.
Wizz29

Post by Wizz29 »

Right! Thanks! Will do!
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm surprised it happened. In exam halls here, either the windows are too high to see anything, or long curtains are drawn.

An invigilator should have noted this down, anything, however minor it may seem, is usually noted, for the very reason it may distract a dc and affect their performance - and results.

Find out if it was logged as soon as you can, as Sally-Anne recommends.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Such a shame thst these tests are so mad, rushed and stressy, that a simple, well meaning wave, can distract a child long enough to lose marks! I remember my big sis waving through the hall windows to me during o levels, it was a welcome breather. I dont think i have ever sat such time pressured tests as these ten year old are enduring, yes we ran out of time during o and a levels, but that was down to bad planning. I certainly do not remember being stressed and worried about my 11+ I just remember the invigilator as he wore a suit and had a bowler hat. (I think he must have been a council official) but he smiled at me and told me he liked the drawing i did at the start. ( we all had to draw a picture before we started, presumably to relax us and quieten us down.)
Wizz29

Post by Wizz29 »

I contacted the school about the incident and the fact that someone had shouted out in the exam and the response I got (by email) was :

"It has been noted but won't affect anything"

Could Sally- Anne or Etienne advise please?
Thanks in advance
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now