The 12+, 13+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

The 12+, 13+

Post by Guest »

Anyone know anything about this - I'd be grateful. Son has failed 11+ and been offered a place at a really dismal school. Don't think we stand much chance in the appeal process so am considering 12+ but know NOTHING about it.
Annon

Post by Annon »

I called the education dept for info about the 11+ appeals panels, and they were incredibly helpful. Really impressive level of support. I suggest you call them as they are the people who will know about 12+

Post by Guest »

When I was at school (70s and 80s) the 11+ was not taken in Maidstone. Selection was at 13. It was referred to as 13+ but it wasn't an exam.

I do know that Grammar schools can take kids on as "casual entries" but if the child has taken the 11+ and not got a high enough mark, they are not eligible until the following academic year. (12+ ?)

If your child missed the cut by more than a whisker, he might be happier at a comprehensive rather than a Grammar. Grammars have zero support for those who aren't at the standard of the majority. Maybe an appeal would be better directed at a good comp rather than a Grammar.

Just a thought.

Post by Guest »

Annon wrote:I called the education dept for info about the 11+ appeals panels, and they were incredibly helpful. Really impressive level of support. I suggest you call them as they are the people who will know about 12+
Really!

I'm stunned. I called three times and got three different teenagers, none of whom had the faintest idea about the procedure at all. They couldn't even tell me if you make the appeal in person or just in writing. You must have got through to the only "adult" member of staff.
Annon

Post by Annon »

I didn't call the number on the results letter, but tried the number listed under Education on the KCC website and asked for someone who could help with 11+ appeals advice. The lady on switchboard might get you an older member of staff if you explain your predicament.
Curious

Post by Curious »

Anonymous wrote: Grammars have zero support for those who aren't at the standard of the majority. Maybe an appeal would be better directed at a good comp rather than a Grammar.

Rather interesting comment. If Grammars have zero support for those who aren't the standard of the majority, how do they regularly produce 98%-100% pass at GCSE?
They surely don't appear to be leaving any child behind judging by these results.

Post by Guest »

All the grammars have Special Educational Needs provision if you look at their brochures, covering dyslexia etc etc. Surely that is evidence of their willingness to support the "weaker" pupils.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now