St Clement Danes or Chesham Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EveDallas

St Clement Danes or Chesham Grammar

Post by EveDallas »

I would really appreciate someone's help on this. Firstly from dd's scores it is very likely she can get into St Clement Danes and Chesham grammar.
We have seen both schools and like them both. Very confused now on which school to rank first on our form.
We are veering more towards SCD, so please could people share their experiences about this school. More than the academic side of it, I want somewhere for dd with good pastoral care and that deals with bullying well, as she can be timid.
We will be travelling from Pinner and I think there is a coach from Northwood, just wondering if anyone knows anything about this. Once she is a bit older she can make her way by public transport.
hamscd

Re: St Clement Danes or Chesham Grammar

Post by hamscd »

My son has just started SCD 4 weeks ago and in this time he seems to have settled well. He enjoys school and has quickly made friends. My son is also shy but it seems that the classes are designed in a way that children who pass the exam are in one class and so all children have to make friends with each other. There are a lot of extra curricular activities during lunch time and so does not miss out as he can not stay behind after school as he takes school bus. We live in Kenton and he takes the bus from carpenders park.

I hope this helps. I know of a parent whose son was accepted by chesham and was on waiting list for scd but they decided to go for scd when he was accepted in late june.
EveDallas

Post by EveDallas »

Thanks hamscd. That's sounds very positive. The girl showing us around the open day was lovely and polite, but there is only so much you can glean from an open day. It is nice to hear other people's experiences.
We had been hoping for Parmiters, so am trying to find all the positives I can about SCD as dd is very apprehensive. esp. as she prob. will not know anyone else going there.
Last edited by EveDallas on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
EveDallas

Post by EveDallas »

hamscd-What time does the coach leave and what time do you pick your son from the coach stop?
Is your son finding travelling okay and are they guaranteed to get a place on the coach or is there a waiting list?
angelaht

Post by angelaht »

Hi

SCD is our second choice after Watford Girls. We didn't look round last year because I felt it would be too far for my dd to travel but this year I thought we 'may as well' look round and I loved it. We live near enough to Parmiters to (probably) get in on distance but I just didn't like the feel of the school for my dd. I felt that the students we talked to at SCD were polite and smart and ever so friendly and enthusiastic. I would be happy for her to get a place - the main reason we are putting it second is distance - it was so close to Watford Girls on pros and cons list!!
My dd will be likely to be going on her own too - I am sure there are plenty of non Chorleywood kids that will be joining the school in ones and twos so hopefully it will be easy to make friends!
EveDallas

Post by EveDallas »

Thanks angelht. We liked WGGS but are not in the catchment. Interesting that you didn't like the feel of Parmiters, how did you think it differed from SCD?
I missed the heads talk for SCD, did you hear it and what did you think?
mon786

Post by mon786 »

Apparently the Head of SCD is leaving. Chesham Head is very impressive.
EveDallas

Post by EveDallas »

Really mon786, hadn't heard that. Do you know when?
hamscd

Post by hamscd »

I have also not about the head leaving. is this just grapevine or fact.

The bus leaves carpenders park at 7:40 in the morning. We leave home at 7:00. He comes by himself in the evening.
hamscd

Post by hamscd »

He really enjoys school activities at lunch time (they get one and half hr lunch break). On monday he does basketball, tuesday he does drama, wednesday ICT, thursday football and friday science. So you can see a lot of opportunities of club activities. There are over hundred lunch time club aactivities to choose both academic, sports , social