CRGS vs WC

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
su1920

CRGS vs WC

Post by su1920 »

Please can someone provide little insight into these schools? I see CRGS is a good school but I need to consider travel to work as we may end of moving to that area. We are living outside catchment area and I work in the City.

Many thanks
KB

Re: CRGS vs WC

Post by KB »

being dim :? what is 'WC' ?

There is another thread just started here about CRGS that you might find helpful too.

CRGS doesn't have catchment and many boys travel from Chelmsford direction if that helps.

If you are looking to move to Colchester area then its about 50 minutes into Liverpool Street by train.
toolate

Post by toolate »

Lods of people commute to Liv Street/ Stratford/Canary Wharf from Marks Tey, Colchester, Manningtree - to name just a few stops which are convenient for CRGS
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Woodford County? sorry, that's girls :)
Wellington College? Wycliffe College??

One slightly more convenient for the City than the other...

Wymondham College?

Please give us a clue :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ahap

Post by ahap »

Is it Westcliff? - WHSB
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
su1920

Post by su1920 »

Apologies -
Westcliff High School for Boys Academy, Kenilworth Gardens, Westcliff-on-Sea, SS0 0BP

Any info on the school/area. I think my son can qualify for both based on the guidnace sheet as he is in the green zone for both.

many thanks
KB

Post by KB »

I don't have any knowledge of WHSB but there are lots of very positive comments about it on Essex threads.

Because of the location of the school they will have different intakes.
The Southend schools selective system works by taking in the majority of pupils from the local area so long as they reach the 'pass' mark so there will be more of a mix of ability than CRGS which is a 'super selective', with no catchment, so the lowest score that qualifies for a place is generally around the 340 mark. This means that the classes are fast moving and academic excellence is taken as read by staff and the vast majority of pupils

Possibly you might think that one or the other would suit your DS best.

I guess you would also need to consider the significance of the impact on your family/ work circumstances if you would need to relocate for CRGS - it might be a 'better' school but is it that much 'better' to warrant the upheaval?

A nice position to be in but still a tricky decision !