King John Test Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jim's Dad

King John Test Results

Post by Jim's Dad »

Hopefully not an issue having just passed the 11 plus and being in catchment, but DS also took the King John entry test as out of catchment for this school.

Equally foggy advice provided with the result but anyway:

Score 102 out of an apparent maximum score of 141 (why isn't it a score out of the 80 questions that they answered ?!)

Last year's lowest admitted score was 94 whereas in 2012 it was 103.
How this helps me I don't know.

72% score very much in keeping with DS practice attempts, maybe a tad low - they advised it was like the GL assessment familiarisation papers so he'd practised a few of those.

Thoughts welcome...I am lost in this sea of uncertainty ! :lol:
sisterofgloucestermum

Re: King John Test Results

Post by sisterofgloucestermum »

DS scored 129 but will be going to grammar too. Last year's scores are there to guide you so if your child scored over the minimum from the last two years you should assume they'd have a chance of securing a place. Of course it's hard to tell because you don't know how all the other children have scored! But if your child scored over 100 they'd probably have a good chance of getting a place :D

When my DS came out of this test he said it was easy..this is reflected in his score! Unlike the 11+ when he said it was hard..and this definitely showed in his score!!!

Well done to your DS :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 scored 121.

The scores we are given are Standardised Scores, so not actually "out of". 141 is the score allocated to the highest obtained raw score, not to a mark of 80/80. I don't remember (actually, can't remember whether I have ever been told) whether the King John test results are standardised against the group who took the test on the day (as the CSSE papers are) or against a national sample, but this is from the nfer website:

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research/assessme ... scores.cfm.

So from that, one can see where one's DC's scores are in relation to the mean (which is accorded a score of 100). It doesn't tell us what the mean raw score actually was, though.

There are also other threads on the subject of standardisation on the Forum.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
abraham

Post by abraham »

Hi 'Jim's Dad' *waves from across the playground* . . .

DS scored 121 on the KJS test, which was roughly in line with his 11+ VR paper I'd say (and, as they are both GL Assessment papers, pretty much what we would have expected)

DS also sat the Appleton Aptitude Test in Modern Foreign Languages - and this was the most confusing set of results by far. They tell you your child's score (in DS's case - 114), and the lowest score to secure a place on the basis of the test in the last three years (96). They do not tell you the highest score to accept a place last year, how many questions were in the test, where your child came in the rankings, how many questions your child answered correctly - or even the overall percentage they scored :? They do not even tell you what language they tested them on (and neither could DS afterwards! :lol: )

As Appleton was the first set of results we got back, the 11+ & KJS ones all seemed pretty clear after that :wink:
Jim's Dad

Post by Jim's Dad »

abraham wrote:Hi 'Jim's Dad' *waves from across the playground* . . .

DS scored 121 on the KJS test, which was roughly in line with his 11+ VR paper I'd say (and, as they are both GL Assessment papers, pretty much what we would have expected)

DS also sat the Appleton Aptitude Test in Modern Foreign Languages - and this was the most confusing set of results by far. They tell you your child's score (in DS's case - 114), and the lowest score to secure a place on the basis of the test in the last three years (96). They do not tell you the highest score to accept a place last year, how many questions were in the test, where your child came in the rankings, how many questions your child answered correctly - or even the overall percentage they scored :? They do not even tell you what language they tested them on (and neither could DS afterwards! :lol: )

As Appleton was the first set of results we got back, the 11+ & KJS ones all seemed pretty clear after that :wink:
*waves back from across the playground having spoken to you this morning !*

Well done with those scores again....glad I haven't got to go through this again, I'm sure you will have that pleasure though ! :D
olar

Post by olar »

Hello. Letter from kJS stated my DD scored 141 out of a possible 141. Initially assumed it was a typo error. :) Although DS repeatedly said test was easy. On the contrary was expecting DD to score higher in VR for CSSH given higher scores in her mock papers . She scored 63 /80. Will be putting KJS as third choice as DD had 15 Marks above OCC. Good luck and we'll done to our DC
abraham

Post by abraham »

Jim's Dad wrote:
Well done with those scores again....glad I haven't got to go through this again, I'm sure you will have that pleasure though ! :D
Thank you, and well done to you guys again too :D Yes, I'm really looking forward to riding this rollercoaster again with DS2 & DD - can't wait to get cracking on all this with them . . . :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now