Bucks Selection Review 11+

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

47guest

Bucks Selection Review 11+

Post by 47guest »

Hi all,

We've lurked on this board for 2 years, first time poster ! it helped DS1 qualify and he's very happy at the local GS. We didn't receive the news we hoped/expected for DS2. His score was 116 :( A real shocker to us and his school.

Broken down as:

Verbal - 49.33 - Aware of how low this is and have no reasons why other than the usual nerves and pressure
Maths - 40.29
Non Verbal -27.01

Just seen the Head, have her full support, her and the year 6 staff were stunned he didn't qualify. He has a 1 academic and 2 for effort. The last KS's given were at Year 2, he was all 3's. Head assures us that he is level 5 and beyond on Numeracy, Reading and Handwriting. We will be given the exact levels next week.

We know his numeracy is level 5b now and he'll be put in for level 6's in the summer. He's always attended Brain Academy (6 pupils per year) and is School World Maths Challenge Champion (at year 5). Also first child in the year to receive a pen licence for handwriting, small point but as handwriting is a level County ask for probably worth mentioning. He was/is also school chess champion at year 5.

Other than that - the powers that be will decide his fate. We have already decided if unsuccessful at review to appeal directly to the GS (providing he works to his predicted grades) and 12+ is an option.

Any other advice welcome and best of luck to all of you going through the same review process. February 8th 2014 seems a long way off !
Etienne

Re: Bucks Selection Review 11+

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

For review or appeal purposes I really would have liked to see some alternative evidence of VR ability.

Some schools might do NFER VR tests or CATs.

Failing that, you could perhaps consider an EP report?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
47guest

Post by 47guest »

Thanks Etienne,

Sadly our school doesn't sit NFER VR Tests or CAT's.

All we have is the VR tests results sat in years 3, 4 and 5 which were all above 121 and NVR in year 5 was exceptionally high however, the same papers have been sat by so many pupils and circulated I doubt a panel would take the scores into consideration.

A EP is out of our price range....

Numeracy, Handwriting and Reading are all well above average and able to be proved but I'm at a loss how to show his ability on VR.

Any help gratefully received.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Al
l we have is the VR tests results sat in years 3, 4 and 5 which were all above 121 and NVR in year 5 was exceptionally high however, the same papers have been sat by so many pupils and circulated I doubt a panel would take the scores into consideration

These may well be CATs, check with the school.
scary mum
47guest

Post by 47guest »

These may well be CATs, check with the school.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I have double checked, they sit GL Assessment papers. They don't sit NFER VR Tests or CAT's.

VR help needed !!!!! :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

GL Assessment is a new name for NFER. :)

Check with the school whether they will be reporting the results. There is a space on the Selection Review Summary Sheet for the headteacher to include alternative test scores:
    • 4. Other prior academic attainment. Please record any nationally standardised test results that have been completed in school prior to the Transfer Tests. If recording a test result for a test that has a battery of test elements you must include all results.
These VR results might be useful, depending on just how far above 121 they are. (We're talking about differently standardised tests here, so the correlation isn't exact.)
the same papers have been sat by so many pupils and circulated
Are you sure the question papers were circulated? (I know this used to be true of the 11+ practice papers, but am a bit surprised to hear of other question papers being circulated.)

Exceptional circumstances:
It seems to me that - without in any way complaining about the weighting in the 11+ (it's never a good idea to challenge the system) - you could gently suggest in your review/appeal submission that your son's exceptional strengths are on the maths side. It's not as clear cut as it would have been with the old style 11+, but it's worth a try!
Etienne
47guest

Post by 47guest »

GL Assessment is a new name for NFER. :)
Ahhh that is useful to know :) .
Check with the school whether they will be reporting the results. There is a space on the Selection Review Summary Sheet for the headteacher to include alternative test scores:
I have emailed the Head and asked for these to be included.

Are you sure the question papers were circulated? (I know this used to be true of the 11+ practice papers, but am a bit surprised to hear of other question papers being circulated.)

DS2 sat the same practice paper in Yrs 3 & 4 that DS1 sat in Yrs 3 & 4 (these were sent home to keep, hence could be circulated).

DS2 sat a different practice paper in Yr 5 to DS1 in Yr 5. DS2 sat GL Assessment in Yr 5 and his score for the 2 papers was 121 and 137, average of 129, but not standardised/true score, but worth a mention ? .

Exceptional circumstances:
It seems to me that - without in any way complaining about the weighting in the 11+ (it's never a good idea to challenge the system) - you could gently suggest in your review/appeal submission that your son's exceptional strengths are on the maths side. It's not as clear cut as it would have been with the old style 11+, but it's worth a try!

Thanks, we will.

We have nothing to lose.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

DS2 sat the same practice paper in Yrs 3 & 4 that DS1 sat in Yrs 3 & 4 (these were sent home to keep, hence could be circulated).
I'm surprised! Also surprised at the mention of practice papers - reasoning tests are normally used in state schools as an assessment tool. Bucks primaries and partner schools aren't allowed to practise (apart from the official 11+ practice papers).
DS2 sat a different practice paper in Yr 5 to DS1 in Yr 5. DS2 sat GL Assessment in Yr 5 and his score for the 2 papers was 121 and 137, average of 129, but not standardised/true score, but worth a mention ? .
I don't think non-standardised scores would mean very much - but the odd thing is that at first sight the scores look a bit as if they might have been standardised.
Etienne
47guest

Post by 47guest »

[quote]I'm surprised! Also surprised at the mention of practice papers - reasoning tests are normally used in state schools as an assessment tool. Bucks primaries and partner schools aren't allowed to practise (apart from the official 11+ practice papers).[quote]

ahh sorry, now at home and I have the papers. DS1 sat GL Assessment c Easter in yrs 3, 4 & 5. DS2 sat GL Assessment c Easter yrs 3 & 4, same papers as DS1. DS2 sat 2 GL Assessment VR and NVR June yr 5, the VR being a different paper to the ones sat by DS 1 in yr5. Are his scores on these worth mentioning ?.

[quote] idon't think non-standardised scores would mean very much - but the odd thing is that at first sight the scores look a bit as if they might have been standardised.[quote]

Sorry yes they have been standardised. The letter with them says they are in indication of how your child may perform in the 11+ held in autumn term of year 6.
Last edited by 47guest on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
47guest

Post by 47guest »

Mmm it seems I'm unable to master how to 'quote' !! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now