Anyone know details on appeals for SHS or RH this past year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
imustbecrazy

Anyone know details on appeals for SHS or RH this past year?

Post by imustbecrazy »

I know this may need to be in the appeals section, but couldn't find any Glos info in that section. Was wandering any numbers of appeals heard vs successful appeals for 2013 entrance to SHS or Ribston. Anyone appeal for either school that could give any advice would be much appreciated.
imustbecrazy

Re: Anyone know details on appeals for SHS or RH this past y

Post by imustbecrazy »

I see there's been over 200 views on this question but as yet no replies! Please any advice would really help.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

I found one for you - look in the appeals section on about page 3 there is a post by Sabanna called something like 'Gloucestershire Grammars - anyone else here' - someone has posted some figures for SHS in that thread. You could ring the school and ask too - sounds from that thread that they will be happy to tell you.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Sorry can't find any info for last year - have managed to find stats for 2011:-
SHS = 28 appeals, 9 successful
RH = 50 appeals, 31 successful.

In the appeals forum their is a "STICKY: Feedback from all areas" forum which you may find useful for appeals. They do list all counties but you can refine your search for Gloucestershire.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

cazien wrote:2011 RH = 50 appeals, 31 successful.
2010 & 2011 were both unusual years for Ribston appeals. It started with the pass mark was set higher than previous years; I have no idea why - these things happen. The school was therefore undersubscribed by quite a lot.

When it came to the appeals, as my cloudy mind remembers it, the school didn't put up a strong case against allowing the appeals so the ones who had good academic evidence were likely to have been upheld. Chances are if the pass mark had been set lower, most of those allowed would probably have passed (apart from ones who had major problems on the day).

From what I've read, for 2012 the pass mark returned to a normal level, so the point at which 'appellant vs school' tips away from allowing the appeal was probably lower and less appeals allowed. However, the 'playground bush telegraph' still erroniously says that "Ribston allows loads of appeals so you'll win even if you say your daughter's pet chuckiepig had a bit of a sniffle the night before the exam and she was awfully worried about it".
Capers
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

Thank you for that Capers. That's what I thought that 2010 + 2011 were a bit odd, and wandered how it was for 2012/2013. Do you think there is an ounce of truth to the 'playground bush telegraph'? If I called the schools would they give me the figures for those years such as appeals held/successful?
In the meantime dd2 is buckling down to ensure she gets her level 5s (possibly level 6 thrown in) which I have explained are essential now for appeal.
Liltas

Post by Liltas »

My friend successfully appealed to RH last year for her daughter & said she was told there were only 3 appeals allowed. I believe she was told this when she rang up the school after her letter arrived with the good news
Luckymumof2

Post by Luckymumof2 »

For 2013 intake - SHS heard 12 appeals and accepted 10. They filled the 128 Yr 7 places. Hope this helps.
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

So 2 people didn't take their places then as isn't it 120 PAN, with 10 successful appeals would make 130.
I do wander would it be safer to appeal beginning of year 7, rather than in summer amongst many other cases and possibility of them wanting to fill the seats of people not showing up come September :?
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

It might be worth it - I expect you know there is a girl in our DD1s year who appealed after the start of year 7 - however don't forget that sometimes they start the year with 129 girls (presumably on the assumption that at least one won't turn up at the start of term)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now