Grossly immature Year 7

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tixylixy

Grossly immature Year 7

Post by Tixylixy »

Are any other parents also having to endure the nightmare of having a child who has repeatedly lost his equipment, p.e kit and books? If that was the only problem, I probably wouldn't feel as exasperated but on top of all of this, he has been in trouble with his HOY for having altercations with other boys, arriving late for lessons, making irritating noises during lessons.

His father and I spent 8 months warning him about the level of behaviour that would be expected from secondary school but all the advice fell on deaf ears. He has no organisational skills and we therefore have to ensure that he brings the correct books and materials for his subjects.

Does anyone else have similar problems and if so, what advice can you offer.

A very desperate mother.
yoyo123

Re: Grossly immature Year 7

Post by yoyo123 »

*sigh*

it is Master Yoyo

if it's any consolation, he is now 21 and has lost his 4th mobile phone in 18 months
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I copy out ds's timetable, including details of his clubs and sports, amd then colour code it, print and laminate it (so that it fits in a blazer pocket). Blue is a lesson where homework is due in, red means something extra is needed from home eg sports kit or instrument. Card is checked each morning before he leaves. Homework diary signed each night.

He has a box in the hall where I place anything that has been left around - homework, vocab list, - keys, whatever.

He has a spare emergency pencil case for his locker at school.

With bags, kit etc, I'm a believer that everything needs to have a home, both at home and school, so at least he knows where his stuff is meant to be! Obviously I don't know he school layout well, but I talk him through where his school bag, sports kit etc is meant to live.

I wish I could offer you hope...
Tixylixy

Post by Tixylixy »

Hi Yoyo, so essentially what you're saying is that there's no hope!!
Tixylixy

Post by Tixylixy »

Lady muck

Thank you very much. I will try to implement your suggestions. Is it simply a male thing? Girls seem to be so much better.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I have had to do much the same regarding tranlating the timetable into something that can be understood quickly and have a laminated copy on the kitchen wall and one on DS's desk in his bedroom and also stuck in his planner as his handwritten one was barely legible. That seems to be helping.

We have only lost 1 rugby sock so far - locker key is kept in his wallet which has a key ring in it. He seems to have perfected the art of minimal home work and leaving it to the last minute :roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Tixylixy wrote:Hi Yoyo, so essentially what you're saying is that there's no hope!!
well, depends on the spin..

just love them for who they are..
(and develop a fixed grin)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Grrrrr, just had ow with year 8 ds who wanted to set his school photos on fire as he "looks like a weirdo" because he hadn't showered that day, and his hair is all stuck up. So a) forgot it was photo day, and b) is a soap dodger and c) a pyromaniac.

Sorry, no hope just wait until the teen hormones kick in, you keep thinking they have because ds is seemingly more obnoxious, but that is like the braxton hicks of boy world, then suddenly BAM you realise the real prepubescent hairy monster hormones have arrived!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My very wise, one time neighbour, once said to me " people will tell you it is just a phase... make the most of it, the next one is even worse..!
morgu

Post by morgu »

Can't offer much hope I'm afraid, but on the upside it may just be a sign, or 'side-effect', of your DC being super duper gifted:
"The block of granite in this analogy is cortical thickness, which slowly builds up in children until pre-adolescence, at which time redundancies and unused parts are whittled away, leaving behind our adult, sculpted "David" brain. The results of the study suggest that not only does the block of granite stop building up at a later age for gifted children, but that the sculpting phase may end later as well. The sculpting (or thinning or pruning) process is one of greater brain efficiency and eventually allows for mature executive processing skills of planning, organization, and goal setting..."
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cre ... -ages-once" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't vouch for the quality of the research, but on certain days I choose to believe it :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now