Are we making a mistake?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lastminmum

Are we making a mistake?

Post by lastminmum »

We have just decided this week to let dd try for a place at DAO - she is level 4a for everything, level 5 reading. Is it too late to start preparing for the exam? We have a tutor for an hour a week and we are planning on doing another hour or so ourselves - do we have enough time?
Also we have only decided to apply to DAO, we think it will suit her best, it's also easy to get to and we have another child who would get in on the sibling rule. Is it wise to apply to just one school? Should we try Latymer/HBS too? We live in the catchment for Ashmole so it wouldn't be a serious prob if dd didnt pass the exams. Please help.
3b1g

Re: Are we making a mistake?

Post by 3b1g »

The tests are in the first week of September, which leaves over ten months of preparation time. I'm not an expert on DAO (I only know one child who goes there) but I would have thought that's long enough to be working towards entrance tests.

I would not advise anyone to only apply to one school. Depending on where you live, there are usually between 3 and 6 spaces on the form, so it's worth putting down one school for which your child is 100% certain of meeting the admissions criteria.
lastminmum

Post by lastminmum »

Thank you for the reply. We are planning on putting down at least 3 local schools on the CAF, but, we are only going for one selective. Is this unusual/wrong? Most ppl we know have their children sitting CEMs for at least 3 schools
VH73

Post by VH73 »

We're only going to put one selective on the CAF. If he doesn't do it, he doesn't. It might be a bit risky, I can only hope if it's not that, than another good school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If DAO is the only selective school you are interested in and the others are good alternatives then I don't see any problem with it being the only selective on your CAF. Did you go on the tours a couple of weeks ago? DG
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Sorry, I thought you mean only one school in total. I only applied for one selective school at 11 (Habs) and DS1 only applied for one (WBGS). I realise that some children apply to a whole range. I imagine it partly depends on how happy you are with the non-selective alternatives. I was already at Northwood College when I applied to Habs. DS1 would have got a distance place at Rickmansworth had he been unsuccessful with the academic place at WBGS.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

3b1g wrote: I imagine it partly depends on how happy you are with the non-selective alternatives.
I agree with that.
lastminmum

Post by lastminmum »

Dh took dd on tour of school- very impressed, friendly and not pretentious. Would def suit dd. If she gets in that is, have we left it too late to prep for the tests? I know some dc who have been tutored since year 3.
lastminmum

Post by lastminmum »

Our nearest non selective is Ashmole, which does well for a comp, but no where near as good as DAO. Also I'm quite sure the cultural capital gained by going selective cant be compared.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not how long you prepare but if you prepare in the right way. You have plenty of time but make sure you spend it wisely. If you are only going to sit for DAO you can make sure your preparation is finely tuned to their exams. DG