St Olaves vs QEB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kkd

St Olaves vs QEB

Post by kkd »

Can someone help in deciding whether St Olaves or Queen Elizabeth is the best school . My DS has got good marks in QE and got 'likely' letter from St Olaves?
JustAnotherParent

Re: St Olaves vs QEB

Post by JustAnotherParent »

Personally can't recommend Olave's but know little of QE.

There's plenty of differing opinions on this forum and Mumsnet about Olave's, again don't know about QE.

Schools are some distance apart, you might be better going for the easiest one to get to – it does make a big difference as out of school activities can make a long day on top of travel – even worse if DS does rugby (about all Olave’s do) as weekends can then become filled with taxi duties.

Under the current HT, Olave’s has increasingly become more about results and you’ll see the term exam factory being raised more often.

Some prolific posters make comments about schools their DS’s are not even in so read what you see carefully – schooling is not just all about league table and statistic comparisons especially when comparing apples to pears.

Both get good results if that's what you want, perhaps choosing the one you think DS will be happier at might be the decider.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Don't underestimate the issue of distance. This is a journey that he will do twice a day for some years, and yes, weekends are also impacted due to fixtures, rehearsals and social engagements.

In terms of other things to think about, which may impact either your or your son's happiness:-
a) how accessible are teachers? How frequent are parents evenings and in reality how many teachers will you actually get to see (this seems to be a big difference between schools, with some schools only allowing you to see 5 or 6 teachers).
b) How regularly do you see feedback on your sons work?
c) When does setting start and for which subjects?
d) Language provision seems to be quite different across the schools - what are available, and when do they have options to start or quit?
e) Sports or sports facilities may be important to your child. They can certainly make a difference to their esteem, and it is worth thinking about this carefully.
Bexleymum101

Post by Bexleymum101 »

Everyone I know who has gone to St O loves it. Children are competitive but happy and are made to feel successful. Great confidence in these boys.

Have heard there is more pressure at QEB. Results are great of course but more of a stressful experience getting there.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Bexleymum101 wrote:Everyone I know who has gone to St O loves it. Children are competitive but happy and are made to feel successful. Great confidence in these boys.

Have heard there is more pressure at QEB. Results are great of course but more of a stressful experience getting there.

Completely agree. I know couple of children who go to St. Olave's and it is brilliant in both academics and sports. You are few of the lucky ones to have this dilemma of QE and St. Olave's. Both are excellent schools so I suggest you pick the one which fits you geographically (Orpington or Barnet).
koolmum

Post by koolmum »

We were in the same position almost 2 years ago. We did not live in Orpington nor Barnet at the time so were prepared to move. We knew nothing about these school before so it was hard to make a decision. I'd like to tell you how we came up with our choice if it helps you.

- Academically: both are very good. I personally think there's not much difference between top 10 (state schools, can't afford private). Moreover, best school does not guarantee best student. Good teachers help, but also depends on individual's effort. Best schools can not guarantee good teachers or good pastoral care for the whole of 7 years. Every school has its own strengths and weaknesses, and things can all change. But the one thing you can have some control of is your son's commitment to work hard.
- Financially: houses in Orpington seem a bit more affordable than in Barnet. The area has lot of green space. Commute into LD is just 15' fast train.
- Family wise: lots of family and friends live in the south

My son chose St. Olave's because he was impressed with the Open day and some of his friends also got places there. I think we'd also be happy if he chose QE (and if we could afford a house in Barnet :)
dream mum

Post by dream mum »

Need some advice , got a possible offer outcome letter from St Os. My little fella is gutted. Does anyone with experience in this process know how far down the list the school usually goes. I assume the top 150 odd get a likely place, prediction letter. My Q are what are the odds of a place on the basis that all will not take the offered place . Thanks for help.
imagine

Post by imagine »

Hi Koolmum and others with children in St O

My ds has a likely offer can you tell me how is your ds finding it as there are many issues we have heard about this school. If possible can you pm me please. Thank you.
ryancq

Post by ryancq »

imagine wrote:Hi Koolmum and others with children in St O

My ds has a likely offer can you tell me how is your ds finding it as there are many issues we have heard about this school. If possible can you pm me please. Thank you.
I am in the same position. Koolmum, could you please pm me as well? Thanks.
ss1405

Post by ss1405 »

Hi Koolmum

We are exactly in the same position as you are 2 years ago.
My DS got "likely" from St.olaves and a good score to get to QEB in the first list.
Neither of the schools are close to where we live now, so we have to move .
I thought QEB to be 1st choice , but reading all the conversations , now started to think if St.olaves may be the right choice.

very confused .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now