11+ sat in Bucks Sept 13

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

alfie9603

11+ sat in Bucks Sept 13

Post by alfie9603 »

My son sat the 11+ in September 2013 and his STTS score @ 120 (individual scores were Verbal 61.10, Maths 40.07 & Non-verbal 19.53 = 120.7) I would welcome any advice on our appeal as he was so close. I am struggling to get my head around why the score was rounded down when you are taught round up!!!! even he cannot understand this. I have already paid for the paper to be remarked .3 could be there and hopefully missed, however after speaking to the headmaster she has rated my son 3.3 - recommended with reservations & output varies, my understanding is I will struggle with the Selection Review based on her recommendation? any advice on the best way forward, he worked so hard!!. His age is 10yrs 3mths and is one of the youngest in he class.

He is so close!!!!!!!

Peter (DAD)
Etienne

Re: 11+ sat in Sept 13

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Two possibilities that need exploring:

I would want to know what the headteacher's recommendations were like as a whole. Scroll down to E9 (1) (d):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just occasionally headteachers can be a bit too severe with their recommendations, meaning that a '2' is effectively the equivalent of the average head's '1', and a '3' the equivalent of a '2'!
The head may or may not be willing to give you the overall figures (but you could probably insist under the Freedom of Information Act, even though it might take time).
You would automatically get to see the figures set out in a 'grid', a week or so before an appeal - but I don't believe you would see them in the event of a review.

Secondly I would want to know the head's exact reasons for a '3' for academic potential. I can understand a '3' for attitude if output varies, but occasionally heads make the mistake of letting that affect their recommendation for academic potential. Is there plenty of evidence that your son is very bright? If so, it would beg the question - why a '3' for potential?

One advantage of an appeal would be that there's an opportunity to discuss matters such as the 'rounding down' and the headteacher's recommendation, and there's as much time available as is needed.

Review panel decisions, on the other hand, are taken quickly - see "Amount of time spent on each case"
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and there is of course no two-way discussion, because parents are excluded!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now