What is it with those earrings that make giant holes??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

What is it with those earrings that make giant holes??

Post by fairyelephant »

Why has this hideous craze taken hold? Droopy trousers or holey tights are one thing, but those earrings. :roll: At the (grave) risk of sounding like my mother, why would you do that to yourself? Saw a beautiful girl crossing the road today, then noticed she had 3cm holes in her ears! Is it just me who thinks they might just regret this a teensy bit? Or am I just getting old?
marigold

Re: What is it with those earrings that make giant holes??

Post by marigold »

My husband is a reconstructive surgeon. The NHS will NOT repair these holes- in these parts anyway- so when the children eventually grow up, think about attending job interviews with bloomin great ugly holes in their earlobes and visit their GP's for advice on reconstruction, their only option is private plastic surgery. Earlobes often develop keloid ( lumpy and disfiguring ) scarring which cannot be resolved by surgery alone. They will also need a dose of radiotherapy to stop the keloid scars recurring. An expensive and tedious process, the youth of Essex have paid towards a few holidays for us !

If any of your DC's are even thinking about tunnels ( as they are known in the trade ) just say NO.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I've never seen this. I had to google it. I must be blind! I must say, I felt rather ill when I saw some of the pictures.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

What worries me slightly is that the GS DS1 and DD attend specifically ban the "paraphernalia" required to obtain this effect in their uniform regulations, whereas the comp where DD spent last year didn't even seem to have noticed their existence.

DS1 tells me that this is because this is a particularly middle-class form of self-mutilation :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

How hideous! I agree, as one who has never felt the need to acquire even the tiniest of holes, I am rather strict on the earring fashion trends. 13yo dd came home with those hideous hoops last week, which make for an 'auditioning for Eastenders' look so they were promptly side-lined. And she has informed me that once she is of age, (I think she means 14 :lol: ) she will get as many holes as she likes, because it is fashion, and they are her ears to do as she pleases! Let's hope this is one phase of interest that passes quick before she spots this 'tunnel' trend :shock:
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Not just me then, phew. Let's hope it goes out of fashion soon.
programmer

Post by programmer »

Where I come from, only very old people have these giant holes in their ears. I cannot believe this is a fashion now.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

They're called stretchers aren't they?

I asked a young (20/21 - so very young, to me :lol: :lol: ) lad about his a while ago, and what about the hole, he assured me it would close up again when taken out :roll:

Which is a thought really, at what point do the holes become too big that they won't voluntarily close up again?
ginx

Post by ginx »

They're horrid. My dd1 also confirmed they are called stretchers.

At times I am glad she is squeamish. She's too scared to have her ears pierced, let alone "stretched". Makes me feel ill to think about how ears are "stretched". Yuck.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Indeed! Have managed to dissuade dd from ear piercing so far on the basis I had mine done at 13, never really got on with it, allergic to everything! Now the "holes" are closed but the marks are still there, how much worse if it was a 2cm hole! Eew!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now