Choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

monkeymouse

Choices

Post by monkeymouse »

We are in a very fortunate position, our DD did well in the test. She is in the top 120 for Pates, Ribston and SHS. We are in Stroud. Wondering if Pates is good; so good as to be worth an hour or so on the bus each way?
Cup of tea

Re: Choices

Post by Cup of tea »

have pm'd you
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Fab school I understand. However I think you are right in questioning whether a school is worth travelling 2 hours per day to, especially when you have the choice of other really good schools. It is a very big commitment for you as a family, travelling to and fro for extra curricular activities, concerts, doctor's appointments, the dreaded "sickness" phone calls etc. I'm am probably biased because I had to do it as a kid and hated it-I never seemed to have time after travel and homework for me. Tough decision I know.
monkeymouse

Post by monkeymouse »

Thank you for all your help, and to those kind people who have sent pm. Made me realise how nice people can be, taking time to help a stranger. :D
We visited today, and have made the decision that, although Pates is great, we liked the atmosphere at SHS. As my daughter said "we'll free up a place at Pates for someone who *really* wants to go there. Proud of her, and pleased we've made our choice.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Really pleased that you have come to a decision; a dc that is smart and sensitive - a real credit to you. My dd knew as soon as she walked into her school (Ribston) too that it was where she wanted to be. Sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling. I've heard many good reports about SHS and sure she will be very happy there. :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

My late mother was happy and proud to have been a Stroud High girl :D

It was the 1930s when she was there, mind you, but with luck the best aspects of the school will have endured :D
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Same dilemma here regarding Denmark & Pates? Such a heart wrenching decision but ultimately all v good schools.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

ToadMum wrote:My late mother was happy and proud to have been a Stroud High girl :D

It was the 1930s when she was there, mind you, but with luck the best aspects of the school will have endured :D
Personally we felt that Stroud High, was the school that felt 'most like a school' if you know what i mean, abd the same with Marling for the boys, and I think a lot of that is to do with the fact they still have old buildings.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sorry, monkeymouse, this is slightly off-topic, but when Mum's family referred to Marling (one of my cousins was there '69 - '76), it was always "The Marling". Do people actually call it that, or was it just a family (or Painswick :lol: ) quirk?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now