Appeal Kent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katiew

Appeal Kent

Post by katiew »

Hi!
We have had the results of the Kent 11+ today and my daughter scored 127 in VR, 121 in NVR and 101 in Maths. It was explained that the maths results were too far from the required 118 for a head teachers appeal but we were urged to submit a parental appeal which the school would fully support on the grounds that they felt AW was a prime candidate for GS. She has always been poor at Maths with exam results showing 112 at best. Apart from nerves +++ there are no extenuating circumstances on the day. However the cohort of children in her class are predominately very disruptive and difficult. The teaching they have received since year R has been debatable due to far too much time spent trying to instill discipline and get bottoms on seats!! Does this count as extenuating circumstances? Should I still appeal without extenuating circumstances? Her Year 6 teacher does feel that she would thrive in GS but would be in the bottom set for maths!!
Thank you for looking at my dilema, wishing the 11+ didn't exist!!
Etienne

Re: Appeal Kent

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
Apart from nerves +++ there are no extenuating circumstances on the day. However the cohort of children in her class are predominately very disruptive and difficult. The teaching they have received since year R has been debatable due to far too much time spent trying to instill discipline and get bottoms on seats!! Does this count as extenuating circumstances?
Yes, but keep it brief, because the emphasis ought to be on her academic strengths.
Her Year 6 teacher does feel that she would thrive in GS but would be in the bottom set for maths!!
I like to see words such as 'thrive'! :)
See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The odds may be against you, but it's worth a try if you have strong support.

Check the following list for academic evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't forget to include reasons for wanting a place (in case the school is oversubscribed by the time of the appeals):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
oob mum

Post by oob mum »

Does one appeal now or wait till March 1st? My daughter's scores were 141 verbal, Maths 125 and NVr 116 with an overall total of 382. Minimum is 360 but one needs a minimum of 118 for each paper.
oob mum

Post by oob mum »

Etienne, thanks for your above link which I have read that appeals are made in March.
katiew

Post by katiew »

Thank you for your reply! Can I also ask your advice as to the order I should put the schools in at the first stage? Should I put the GS she wants to go to first with a covering explanation of my intention to appeal or is that seen as rather presumptuous!!
Thank you, Kate
Npowell999

Post by Npowell999 »

Good luck Kate! Where in Kent are you we are in Tunbridge wells and dd got 121 non verbal, 130 verbal but 117 for maths the head teacher is useless so won't try and appeal for one mark x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

katiew wrote:Thank you for your reply! Can I also ask your advice as to the order I should put the schools in at the first stage? Should I put the GS she wants to go to first with a covering explanation of my intention to appeal or is that seen as rather presumptuous!!
Not presumptuous at all. If the GS is your first preference, you must list it first.

The golden rule is - put the schools down in your true order of preference.
Etienne
oob mum

Post by oob mum »

I just want to say thank you all for all the appeals information you've taken time to put up under appeals. It's quite a lot over a long period of time, and the advice you've offered to so many parents in the same boat is amazing. Thank you so much. I will definitely go down the appeals route. God bless.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Npowell999 wrote:Good luck Kate! Where in Kent are you we are in Tunbridge wells and dd got 121 non verbal, 130 verbal but 117 for maths the head teacher is useless so won't try and appeal for one mark x
You should definitely think about appealing with those marks. You don't have to have HT support, but obviously it does help. You can't appeal till March and who knows perhaps the HT will be more supportive by then?