TGS v Weald - which would you choose?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Maddiebean

TGS v Weald - which would you choose?

Post by Maddiebean »

Dd got a score high enough to get her (vagaries of the allocation system aside) into either.

She is academically able but also creative.

I know Weald has the reputation for being the softer, less pushy option (I really liked it when I visited it)
I liked TGS too but not sure about the IB.

Will I be doing my dd an academic disservice if we choose Weald?

What is good about TGS? I know two people who have very happy daughters there and the same at Weald. TGS is a very appealing option as dd did get a great score and good SATS too so I am sure she would be academically able to handle it but then I preferred the HT speech at Weald.

<head explodes>

Any opinions?
pheasantchick

Re: TGS v Weald - which would you choose?

Post by pheasantchick »

Go round both schools and see what feels right. It's a little like choosing a house - you get the gut feeling.
Maddiebean

Post by Maddiebean »

LOL! I've already been round both. I prefered Weald BUT I only saw TGS in an evening. I saw Weald in the daytime, saw girls I knew in lessons and it was very busy and interesting. Seeing empty classrooms in the dark isn't quite the same thing so I'm trying to reserve judgment. Dd hasn't seen either yet so we're going next week.

As a teacher, I also know that shabby buildings etc mean nothing to the quality of teaching which goes on. Head teachers speeches are useful but I'm not, honestly sure how much you can get about a school on those visits!

What I want is to hear from parents who either have children in either school or know of children in either school.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hi, we went to the 6th form info eve last week for TOGS. We were surprised that that they were dropping A levels completely and just doing IB from next year. I think this is very restrictive as the IB doesn't suit every child (if you hate languages you still have to take one!!) Personally I think by the time they get to 6th form they should do subjects they enjoy - but that's my opinion, no doubt others disagree and say the benefits out way the negatives.
Of course, you can move schools in the 6th form - we are at another school and were looking at other schools so its quite acceptable to move later on so this may not be relevant yet anyway. Just my thoughts! :)
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

DD started at TOGS this year. We found it quite difficult to decide between Invicta, MGGS and TOGS as they all seem like really good schools. Not sure why, but we didn't look at WOK....probably because we do not live so close (even though I know it is next door to TOGS). DD had a preference for TOGS having looked around it, and though she has only been there for a few weeks she is delighted with it! I am not so concerned about the A level v IB debate yet as it is quite a few years away and who knows what will happen to the exam system in that time? However, I generally think that the rounded education and international focus of IB is a good thing. The important thing for me is that DD is so happy with her school....she seems to have grown up so quickly having just left primary school in the summer!
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

We have a daughter in Year 9 at TGS. She fell in love with the place and got a very good 11+ score so essentially got herself in. She loves it and is doing really well. We were out of area, so it was TGS or local comps as we would have only got WOK on appeal which would have been highly unlikely from where we are. We did look around both though and thought they were both good schools.

Its not all hard work at TGS, and years 7 and 8 have afternoon's off to do extra curricular activities; Y 10 does Duke of E and Years 11 and upwards (I think) do community work.

Regarding 6th form, my daughter is a good all-rounder and as she works really hard, I am not concerned about the IB which is meant to be slightly more rigorous. However, as she wants to be a vet, with only 7 universities available nationally, she needs to keep her options open and so if the specific subject scores which she needs are lacking for previous IB students, then we will consider moving to an A-levels school to achieve her goal.

There are the standard levels in the IB for those that are not good at maths or languages and the IB does offer students a lot in other ways, such as more rounded education, thesis work, etc. However, A-levels, despite some bad press, are not dead yet and many schools still offering them, can't all be wrong. If your daughter is gaining good scores then I would put the sixth form issue on the back burner for the moment and just consider years 7-11. Many children change schools, as Tonbridgemum suggests.

Incidentally, TGS are doing a very high proportion of IGCSE's and still getting very good results.

Hope that helps a bit.
westkent

Post by westkent »

We also have a daughter in Year 9.

TGS has been everything we hoped it would be. Their pastoral care has been wonderful and although she works hard, it isn't the power hot-house you might think.

I agree that the A level/IB debate is tricky. Certainly it pushes the really bright girls and sets them apart from the 4-5 A* candidates that have become the norm! We too take the view that she could go elsewhere for sixth form if we really don't think it suits her.

Don't be put off by the Head. She is not hugely impressive or charismatic but her Deputies are and they are the ones my daughter sees on a daily basis.

The interesting thing for me is that DD was always top of the class at Primary school and that can be quite a lonely place! At TGS she is pretty average I expect and she likes it there - always having new goals to aim for!

Didn't visit the Weald but I have never heard a bad word against it.

There - have left you as confused as before!
Maddiebean

Post by Maddiebean »

Wow! Thanks very much for the replies, it's clear as mud now <hard stare at west kent mum> :lol: :lol:

Actually it is great to hear such good things about TGS and a good point about the head teacher too.

Thanks again everyone.
peter45

Post by peter45 »

Our DD had the choice TGS, Weald of Kent and an independent scholarship. We look at all 3 and decided WOK was the best fit for her. She received an excellent score and is a member of MENSA. All I can say it do what is best for you daughter at the end of the day they are both great schools. Our son received his results yesterday and is able to choose from either Judd or skinners, once again we will go with what best suits his talents and interest.
The best thing is to look at what you want and need from a school.
1sttimer

Post by 1sttimer »

I have two daughters at TGS, year 10 and year 9. There hasn't been a day that either of them haven't wanted to go to school. They are both average but it is the girls who strive to do better, not the teachers pushing them, from what I have seen. They have both made some lovely friends and overall I couldn't have asked for a better school for either of them and they are both very different.

As to IB I'm still sitting on the fence as one of mine is dyslexic and isn't sure she wants to do IB but we'll look into that in more detail next year. The other one is an all rounder and I feel the IB would be beneficial for her.

I also know many girls at Weald and they are very happy and wouldn't want to swap schools. I personally think that whichever you choose your daughter will love it and can do well at both.

Hope that helps.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now