Aaaarrrggghhh!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
littlebaker

Aaaarrrggghhh!

Post by littlebaker »

Well the excitement of having passed top 120 for Pates is beginning to wear off a little now and we're faced with the reality of a cross county move :shock: Didn't honestly think our DS would pass so hadn't fully prepared for this. Now worried that DD, who's in yr5, may not pass for GS next Oct (don't know exam format/later start to DIY tutoring/moodiness/tantrums already!). I think the safest thing would be to rent in the catchment of an outstanding comp as a backup plan for our DD. Considered Balcarras then found out property prices in (very small) catchment area :shock: :shock: Then discovered that local primaries are full aswell :(

So our original thoughts of GS are gradually unravelling and falling apart really. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any outstanding comps in Stroud or Glouc and/or any great primaries that I can start calling for places? I realise she would only be doing yr6 but it's still important to me that she's in a friendly/exciting environment. Hubby needs to get to Bristol daily (awful shifts so has to drive). DS could bus to Pates from Glouc or Stroud rather than expensive Cheltenham but I'm struggling to find great backups for DD in those areas.

Any advice would be really gratefully appreciated before I have a breakdown from internet search overload - which is where I'm currently heading :(
bananabrain

Re: Aaaarrrggghhh!

Post by bananabrain »

There are lots of great schools around here, in the Barnwood/Elmbridge area of Gloucester: Longlevens, Elmbridge Junior, Heron, Barnwood Cof E. It's an easy route to both Bristol and Pates (plenty of children from round here travel on the bus)
Good Luck and well done to your dc :)
Leafymum

Post by Leafymum »

If you wanted to consider the Balcarras option. You may find that there are primary school places at Coberley School. Quite a few people go there from Charlton Kings as it is a very short drive up the hill and it is a lovely (tiny) village school.
Bordermum

Post by Bordermum »

Have you thought about looking Cirencester area? Lots of children from this area go to Cheltenham, Stroud and Gloucester grammars, so you are covered! Lots of good primary schools too. Access pretty quick to M4 for Bristol.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hucclecote also a good area with 2 good schools - may be places at one or other and close to junction 11a M5. Kids travelling to all grammars and Churchdown comps
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Thank you for all your replies but I'm still filled with dread. I feel as if I've got wrapped up in the whole 'Pates' furore and now it's actually happened the implications of a cross county move seem insurmountable. There are so many aspects to consider. This would be easy if I only had one child but with another one following behind I really don't want to mess her future up for the sake of her brother going to Pates. I've looked at Barnwood and around Gloucester and Stroud and even other parts of Cheltenham but Balcarras really is the only great secondary with an outstanding Ofsted report. I currently have an outstanding secondary on my doorstep so to move cross country for a good/satisfactory or even inadequate secondary seems crazy but at the same time it gives my son the opportunity to go to Pates :( Do not know what to do. And on top of this to have to put my daughter into a primary for year 6 that wouldn't be a school I would choose just because it's the only one with a space for her just adds insult to injury. If anyone is in the place I was in 18 months ago when this all seemed such a great idea can I just suggest you read my post above and SERIOUSLY consider the implications of such a move if you have another child to consider. I've stopped sleeping and have a headache all the time. Really no longer sure Pates is worth this but the results/children that showed us around/comments and opportunities at the school tell me otherwise. Feeling sick with worry and I have about 10 days to fill the CAF in :( :( :(
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

How feasible would it be to travel for the next year, and then see how your dd does in the 11+ one year from now?

You would then be in a position to make a decision.
It would presumably be obvious from preparation if she stands any chance at all. If she passes but not for pates, you could then decide to move to Glos and let ds travel or to chelt and let dd travel to GS.

Or you could move to Cirencester (renting) which does have great comps. (look at deerpark) It would mean ds and dh travelling. But then in one year you would either stay put because dd needs comp, or move to Glos or Chelt depending on results.
Ciren to Bristol centre is about an hour, longer in rush hour.

At least GS application doesn't require you to be resident, so you have some flexibility.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Maybe it's me but when I search around the Hucclecote area I find 2 inadequate secondary schools and a good one. I realise you can't go by the ofsted report alone but from a distance it's all I have. Even Deer Park is only rated good by Ofsted and it's a long bus journey away. When we started this I just assumed that if my daughter didn't manage to get into a GS after her brother she could just go to the local secondary but that it would be a great place to be. Now I see why you're all clamouring for the GS places. I really do not want to offend anyone on here, this forum has been a lifeline for me whilst my son has worked towards his exam and I hope I've contributed in a lighthearted and encouraging way in the past for others, so please don't be offended if it feels as if I may be insulting your local comps.

I now realise we cannot really afford to rent or live in Charlton Kings to have Balcarras as our (on paper at least) outstanding comp. And that the places we can afford to live in have less than great comps.

Great :(
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Deerpark is really an excellent school, the sixth form college next door definitely has an outtsanding.

but you will only get into Deerpark if you live close by, you couldn't travel from Cheltenham.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Thank you everyone. I realise from the private messages that I've received that I have offended some people so I won't write anything else and I'll leave it here.

I've really sorry and best of luck to everyone.
littlebaker
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now