Likelihood of increased intake at TGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
woollywomble

Likelihood of increased intake at TGS?

Post by woollywomble »

Hi everyone. Now we have the scores I'm trying (like everyone else!) to work out which order to put the schools on my form. At both Invicta and MGGS we have been told to put them first if we definitely want a place, haven't decided which of the two we prefer yet, hopefully will become clearer after open mornings. However, it's frustrating not to know if TGS will be extending their numbers like last year as, based on last year's data, my daughter would stand a chance of getting in with the lower scores (398 on 2nd round of offers to in area girls last year).

I don't want to chance putting TGS first, missing out becuase they don't increase the intake, then lose a place at MGGS or Invicta because we didn't put them first. Aaaagh, it's really confusing. I don't really see the point of publishing admission numbers if they are subject to change. It's hard to make informed decisions when the goalposts keep changing! Does anyone know when they decide to confirm the actual numbers - will it be once all the forms are in (and too late to change your mind!)? :?
nina1on

Re: Likelihood of increased intake at TGS?

Post by nina1on »

When my son was doing 11+, I just put everything in the order of preference and got my 3rd choice. Everything as they are promising: not first, than second, not second than third. I dont think the schools really do care which place you put. Anyway it is Kent admission who just compare the scores with the cut off marks. May be I am wrong
woollywomble

Post by woollywomble »

But, just for example, if we put TGS first and Invicta second but didn't meet the scores at TGS then everyone who put Invicta as their first choice would be allocated above us and we could potentially miss out on a place if they are over-subscribed? Is that right?
nina1on

Post by nina1on »

No, theoretically Invicta will send the decision to Kent admission and TGS will send too. The Kent admission will than look where did you place the school on your list. If TGS says no and Invicta yes….than you will get Invicta. If TGS says yes and Invicta says yes…than you get TGS because it was higher on your list of preferences. Please, correct me someone .But this is how it is supposed to be. And that’s why they have first round and second round: when Invicta says “yes” but you already got TGS as your first choice- then Invicta will offer it to someone else.
Again I got the third choice on my list: the first choice was no, for the second choice my son did not have enough score .But you don’t know the cut off for the current year anyway. In my case the school – DGS for boys- just raised the score. I put this school on my list just because based on the historical cut off he would get in. But unfortunately the year when he was applying cut off went very much up. And he got his third choice. So this supports my story: just put what you really want on the first place and then in order of priority
woollywomble

Post by woollywomble »

Thanks for your reply nina. Does anyone know when the second round of offers happens?
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

This 'must put schools first' is a myth to boost their application numbers.

Do check the KCC document thoroughly for when we applied, the system was explained in there. If it is still the same, then KCC write to all the schools on your form, to see if they can offer you a place, under the school's admission policy. KCC then allocate the school in the order of your preference if you have more than one that says yes.

Therefore, ensure you put the schools down in your order of preference. If that is TGS, then put it first for if they don't offer you a place because the score is too low, then you could still get Invicta or MGGS, if you meet their criteria.

I know of girls at both Invicta and MGGS who are both doing well. My own daughter is at TGS.

Hope that helps but please do check that the system is still the same.
woollywomble

Post by woollywomble »

Thanks for the clarification, feeling a lot less stressed about it now!
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

If it helps, last year Invicta and MGS were both undersubscribed, so places were available even after allocations. Maidstone GG had 40 vacancies!