Full marks anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bristols

Full marks anyone?

Post by bristols »

A few years ago, loads of children were scoring the full marks of 420, now 423. There don't seem to be so many around this year.

Have Kent made it harder to get top marks this year? Is this part of their "tutor proofing" plan by making the whole thing harder and therefore easier for the super-selectives to discriminate at the top?
mystery

Re: Full marks anyone?

Post by mystery »

Maybe it's just this website that makes it seem that way because some mods of some of the regional fora do not allow scores to be mentioned?

As it should be a normal distribution of standardised scores the proportion in the tail area shouldn't change much in real life should it? My stats isn't really good enough - prefer pure maths.

Need a stats teacher.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

It will be the same number (as a percentage) as it's a statistical standardised score.
cs13

Post by cs13 »

Anecdotally, I have only personally heard of two DCs getting full marks so far at the local school. Last year it was in double figures. Three years ago it was over 15.

Anecdotally, there seem to be many more failures this year. The KCC published figures bear this out because the number of Kent children who passed this year has actually fallen, despite many more children taking the test.

Anecdotally, the test seemed to have been a lot harder this year.

This may have been a deliberate policy by KCC to provide greater differentiation at the top end, in order to keep certain super selectives within the Kent test. Certain West Kent super selectives have been threatening to set up their own entrance exam in order to differentiate between the merely bright and the super bright. This is because in previous years both sets of pupils scored full marks. Maybe the new tougher Kent test has achieved the required level of differentiation?

Anyone else heard of a someone scoring full marks?
Last edited by cs13 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Our school won't release any scores!
I phoned KCC and they wouldn't tell me either!

We have to wait until tomorrow.
METINSOLO

Post by METINSOLO »

Ds got full marks. He also got top 180 for bexley and also likely for St Olaves.
ryancq

Post by ryancq »

METINSOLO wrote:Ds got full marks. He also got top 180 for bexley and also likely for St Olaves.
So did my DS. Exactly the same situation. I'll pm you about your view on final decision. My wife and I are deeply devided.
bristols

Post by bristols »

CS13, if you're right (and my own experience backs you up) then it means that my DC's far less than perfect score means that we still have a decent chance of a superselective.

Well done mettinsolo. DC1 got full marks a few years ago and it was lovely to be able to sit back and relax at this stage in the proceedings.
peter45

Post by peter45 »

Where my son goes 4 children got full marks, he and 6 of his male friends got 417+ I am not too sure about the girls but I do know of the 19 that took the test 2 failed and only 2 got less than 400. A great result all round really.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Sounds like a great school Peter :D :D :D