Habs for girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pabrighton0

Habs for girls

Post by pabrighton0 »

We are very interested in the school but feel we do not know enough about it.

Does anyone know how the assemblies are organised? When we went around, it seemed that there is generally one assembly for the whole senior school and on Thursdays there were separate for each religious group + humanist. Still it seems that some speakers are also called to talk about non religious topics, at least for some of the assemblies? Are these assemblies not oriented by the RE department?

We were also interested in that the behaviour management rules are apparently being "rewritten". We assumed that these would be appropriate in a successful school like Habs and wondered what this is looking to address?

My DD was very impressed with the head girl speech, she had been there from 4 yrs old. Still I guess we should stop DD dreaming since anyone joining in Y7 would probably not have much chance to eventually get to be head girl?
Sallyltb

Re: Habs for girls

Post by Sallyltb »

The assemblies are as you say. The school has a majority of girls who are not Christian, so whilst they usually have a hymn, the whole schoolassemblies are not 'churchy'.

I don't think there are any particular behaviour issues, but the new head from a couple of years ago is revamping most things ( for the better).

There is certainly no need to gave been there since nursery to become Head Girl.
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

Sallyltb wrote:The school has a majority of girls who are not Christian, so whilst they usually have a hymn, the whole schoolassemblies are not 'churchy'.
The coach network means it can draw a bit into London. All interesting, is there a majority of any particular group? Or is the mix similar to Habs boys?
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

The mix is quite different to the boys' school. Ethnically it is different. I would say the girls has slightly fewer pupils from London, but not a lot of difference. The ethos at the girls' school is much more relaxed (which is what attracted us to the school).

The other interesting point about the Thursday assemblies is that you can attend any of them, whatever your faith, or lack of.
baggies4ever

Post by baggies4ever »

Agree with previous comments. Other general thoughts: pastoral care is excellent, friendships and associated issues taken seriously and any problems dealt with sensitively & fairly; super head and also head of middle school (haven't seen head of upper school in action but she's a great PE teacher!); great spread of extra-curricular opportunities both sport & music. Points to consider: class sizes on large side for indie (in excess of 25 in our case), pace is fast so girls need to be able to keep up; geographical spread means it can be challenging juggling their social lives! Re. point made elsewhere on tutoring - undoubtedly it goes on, but it is not the norm nor advocated by the school. Know of girls with mild dyslexia who receive plenty of support. No 'one type' personality - from loud and lairy to quiet, there's room for everyone, with an ethos of respect for all.
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

My daughter is in year 8 and loving the school. Seems very relaxed to me with its ethos and I really like the ethnic and religious mix. Its been the right choice for us.
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Thank you for the comments.

Still a shame that the very detailed data available for state schools on religious/ethnic mix is not widely available for even top indies, it takes a lot of effort to find this.

Anyway, I sense that the mix at Habs girls is 70-80% of one group with the rest split between the remaining. That will not rule it out for us anyway.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

pabrighton0 wrote: Anyway, I sense that the mix at Habs girls is 70-80% of one group with the rest split between the remaining.
I would not say that this is true in any way.
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

Habs is very mixed ethnically and with religious background but it varies from year to year. My (muslim) DD loved all the bat mitzvahs this past year as her class has a large Jewish contingent.

Re assemblies : She visits all the different assemblies and so far : wanted to wear a hijab for a week which then involved a lot of discussion of what does it mean to dress modestly, be Jewish (for the parties) knows about all Hindu traditions and discusses the trinity and African Christianity in great detail over breakfast. Girls at this age are like sponges and I think it is fab that she is being able to see such a range of human experiences in such a natural way.
baggies4ever

Post by baggies4ever »

Totally agree with Finchley Mum and Sally's comments. No question that ethnic mix will vary year on year as this is a selective school, but the notion of Habs Girls' comprising 70-80% of 'one group' (which group?), simply does not reconcile with my past 8 years' + experience of the place.

There may be valid reasons why families decide not to send their DDs to Habs. However, ethnic mix and any concerns about accommodation of different religious beliefs and ethnic backgrounds, should not be one of them. In this area, the school is superb in celebrating the diverse backgrounds of the girls.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now