Delay tutoring till decision made re. new exam format 2014?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ben10mum

Delay tutoring till decision made re. new exam format 2014?

Post by ben10mum »

We have told our tutor that we will be delaying tutoring for now, until a decision has been made about the exam format for 2014 in Gloucester?
We are wondering now whether we have made the right choice?
Didn't want our child learning a technique? that might change??..thought it might confuse him........

Would be grateful for your input. Many thanks.
steppemum

Re: Delay tutoring till decision made re. new exam format 20

Post by steppemum »

well, we didn't start doing verbal reasoning preparation until after christmas anyway. I wish though that I had worked on vocab before that.
if the new format is English, maths plus VR etc, then at this stage the best thing would be general stuff - vocab, times tables, grammar, etc.
MedievalBabe

Re: Delay tutoring till decision made re. new exam format 20

Post by MedievalBabe »

We also didn't start VR tutoring until after Christmas but with the chance of this change and the decision may not be made until December I wouldn't do any tutoring until January as you could be wasting your money.

But looking on the counties that already have the CEM format if you are going to tutor then you need to be sure the tutor is prepared for the change and doing lots of maths/English work rather than VR. There are no past papers to use for practice!

I have started my DD on reading, expanding her vocabulary, tables and maths problems. Which is all stuff you can do at home easily and will be a benefit in the future anyway.