Wilmington Grammar School for Boys - What do you think?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bexleymum101

Wilmington Grammar School for Boys - What do you think?

Post by Bexleymum101 »

Hi everyone

Wondering what the general consensus is on WGSB? Heard the Head is very nice but do the academic results compare to the other Grammars?
Bobmumof3

Re: Wilmington Grammar School for Boys - What do you think?

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I have to be honest I didn't get the right feel personally. I went on a normal working day and wasn't impressed with the quality of teaching & learning in the classrooms. I didn't see any lessons in my opinion that were outstanding so I was left disappointed. I've struck it off my list.

Hopefully a parent with ds at the school will be more informative
Bexleymum101

Post by Bexleymum101 »

That's so disappointing. My DS got 413 in Kent exams but missed out on Bexley by 2 marks. Don't know what happened. He was predicted top 180 which children who were far less capable in his class actually achieved (6 in total!). So we are really gutted.

State schools are not great in our area so our only chance is Wilmington. Feels so frustrating that if we lived in dartford, he could potentially get into a super selective like Dartford Grammar for boys but he may well end up at local comp where there are real social issues!!

Doesn't seem right.
Growingtofast

Post by Growingtofast »

My son is currently in Year 9, he is very happy and is on or above target in all his subjects. He has made excellent progress and is predicted to do extremely well in his GCSEs, I have no complaints with regards to the level of teaching or homework he is set. It is a lovely school as far as I'm concerned and suits my son. Go along to their open evening on Tuesday and if necessary visit on one of the open mornings we did both and this helped us with our final decision. Good luck :D
salsa

Post by salsa »

I also liked Wilmington, but there are a few issues for us:
1.- The scores needed for OOC for the past two years has been 414 even on the waiting list. That's what I have been told by them. If they have a tie, then it goes on proximity.
2.- I've heard that children are expected to do 2 hours homework every evening as well as homework at the weekend.
3.- I wasn't that happy that their latest OFSTED quotes a 2 for "teaching and learning"
4.- Getting there, the buses are very infrequent.
yummy mummy 76

Post by yummy mummy 76 »

My son is at Wilmington and I have nothing but good things to say about it. My son (Y8) is happy and he looks forward to going in each day. There's very good communication with parents about targets and behaviour. We receive an email each Friday evening with details of that week's housepoints, any subject levels recorded, any 'C' points (effectively demerits) all broken down by day and subject lesson. My son knows where he is against targets and what is required to meet them.The school has a real sense of community. I definitely don't see 2 hours homework each night - more like 1 and marking is timely and always states positives as well as how the work could be improved. Finally, there's an extremely good network of private coaches that pick up from lots of areas and travel to the 4 local grammars.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you so much for your feedback. How do I go about looking at those coaches? We live in Greenwich.
yummy mummy 76

Post by yummy mummy 76 »

http://www.nkst.co.uk/transinf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thanks a lot, very helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now