Highsted Grammar for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
reddebs

Highsted Grammar for Girls

Post by reddebs »

Hi
I wonder if anyone else on the forum went to Highsted this evening for the open evening and has an opinion.

I have always thought this was a highly academic school and am worried that my daughter would not hack the pace - I have been considering a Medway Grammar for her and she is due to sit both tests but she really likes it and now wants to put this as first.

I would be grateful if anyone has any experience of this school and a just above average child.
Regards
Deb
katel

Post by katel »

we looked at Highstead last year and liked it, but our daughter chose to go to Simon Langton instead - another very academic school. I was worried that she would find it heard going - she's clever but not super bright. So far it's been fine. Her particular struggle is with maths, and when I talked to her form tutor she said that once they get into year 8, they have 6 streams for maths (!) so that they can make sure nobody gets left behind! I wouldn't worry - if she can pass the 11+, I'm sure she'll be fine at Highsted.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Do not be put off by any academic reputation. Highsted's excellent academic results are down to the encouragement and excellent teaching provided.

How do I know? I have in my possession details of the excellent progress achieved by students who have been admitted under the appeals procedure, many with lower scores than for most other grammar schools. I can pass this on to members of the forum who contact me directly. In parallel with this, Highsted Grammar School's added value is amongst the highest in the country, often the best grammar school in Kent. Added value is the rate of progress made from the child's achievement at Level 2, through to GCSE, when compared with the average. Some grammar schools have a below average score.
dees

Post by dees »

Peter,why level 2?
I thought children should be at level 5 when they leave for grammar school?
Peter

Post by Peter »

you are of course correct; I meant Key Stage 2. Sorry - pressure of work!

Post by Guest »

I was told prior to my daughter taking the 11+, that her teacher didnt think the whole grammar school situation would suit her. She has blossomed in the 3 years since she has been there.

She gets 10+ 'A' grades at the end of each term and I think she has matured into a great teenager.

Every school has it's faults, however small, but I would'nt hesitate to put any of my further children into grammar school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now