Not sure what to do (Kent)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
confusedmum.com

Not sure what to do (Kent)

Post by confusedmum.com »

My son has passed his Kent 11 plus with a score of 406 (141 verbal, 141 non verbal, 124 maths). We are really pleased for him though I know he is disappointented. He has a brother at a super selective in Tonbridge and had set his heart on going there himself. Though maths is his weaker subject he was a 5c at the end of year 5 and a level 3 at the end of KS1. There are no extenuating circumstances for his mark - he just did not perform well on the day. He had been shaken by the previous days tests and came home crying and infact thought he had 'blown it' on the nv which shook his confidence.

Do you think there is any point in appealing to this school in March on the grounds that he underperformed on the day, he was expected to do better and that he has direct family ties there (there is no sibling rule) and that the travel to this school is direct?

Any thoughts?
twinkles

Re: Not sure what to do (Kent)

Post by twinkles »

I don't know anything about the super selectives, I'm afraid. But there are lots of people on here who have connections with them and I'm sure they will be along soon to offer some advice.

Do you know what score he would have needed to get in his maths? How far off that is he?

Find out what score the super selectives went down to last year. Have you looked at *****
confusedmum.com

Thanks twinkes for the reply.

Unfortunately - top scores are really needed across the board - so around 141. The combined score went down to 412 last year but they put on an extra class which could very well not be repeated this year, the year before the cut off in first allocation was 418 and before that 417. It is the toughest grammar to get into this side of Kent. So you see it would be a very long shot!

I just feel that his maths result does not reflect his maths ability.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

I presume you are talking about Judd?

I can see that it would be a long shot, but nothing ventured, nothing gained?

I'm sure others with more experience will be along soon. Have you looked at ******?
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately I don't think the sibling link and travel will carry any weight at an appeal.
confusedmum.com wrote:I just feel that his maths result does not reflect his maths ability.
I think that this bit is the key really, if you can prove that he has very good maths skills with lots of evidence: level 5a or perhaps even level 6 predictions, good CAT scores for maths and perhaps additional support in maths for G&T with good HT support then maybe an appeal for Judd is do-able.

Being kind to your son though, perhaps it is a long shot and you should perhaps prepare your son for a place at TWGSB or somewhere else, rather than keep hanging on for 5 or 6 months until the appeals are over. Over 400 is such a good score and its sad to have worked so hard and be disappointed, maybe focussing on the schools he can get into would be an idea. You could do an appeal without his knowledge if you wanted.

Good luck
confusedmum.com

I have explained to him that Judd is now out of reach, hence the disappointment (he wanted to be with his brother, who has really flourished there) and that we had other options.

I thought I would explore the option of an appeal - without his knowledge to see if anyone thought there would be a chance.

He has worked so hard - it is hard to deal with his disappointment I want to be able to say that I have done everything possible for him.
confusedmum.com

Ought to mention that we are out of catchment for TWBGS as we are closer to Maidstone and I think the score is too low for Skinners. So looking into Maidstone options.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Although I agree that an appeal is a long shot I think that it is certainly worth putting Judd as your first choice on the caf and then in March you can put him on the waiting list and also appeal if you want to do so. It is worth doing the same for Skinners. If you decide to appeal,go on waiting lists etc I would advise against telling your ds but agree that nothing ventured, nothing gained. ...good luck x
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I'd agree it's always worth an attempt in appeal but don't expect any bonus points with a sibling link. I found it to be a fruitless argument with an uncaring panel a few years back and in fact it's far better to focus on the individual unless asked.

Wishing you the best of luck. Fabulous scores, DS should be very pleased with himself!

T x
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
confusedmum.com

Thank you everyone for your comments. I think you can get so worked up about this process that you can't see clearly. It does not help when your son thinks he has rubbish scores and is thick. My heart goes out to him and I want to make it better but remain realistic at the same time.

T12ACY did you appeal to Judd? If so what score did your son get in his 11+ and where you successful?

Confusedmum.com x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now