Crossley heath v north halifax

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lorna1978

Crossley heath v north halifax

Post by Lorna1978 »

hi everyone,
We have just had fantastic news about the entrance exam for the grammar schools in halifax. My dd ranked high enough to get her first choice of school which is fantastic but we are really struggling to decide which one will suit her best.

We attended the open evenings and liked both schools but the facilities at North halifax really seemed to be lacking a bit of TLC.

Has anyone got any experience of either school good or bad that might help??
mitasol

Re: Crossley heath v north halifax

Post by mitasol »

If you don't have a strong feeling about either school then I would go with whichever is closest.
annie321

Post by annie321 »

We just left it up to our children, who chose NHGS. They preferred the "feel" of the school and we have been absolutely delighted with it. It's a very happy, cheerful and caring environment. They really look after them as well as teach them.
Although NHGS is further away then Crossleys for us, the kids actually get home earlier because NHGS finishes at 3 not 3.30 like Crossleys.
It's great to have two such fantastic schools to choose from and I'm sure your daughter would do equally well at either.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

I would support what Annie said. Our DD is in her second year at NHGS and loves it. When we first visited it I thought it looked run down and in need of TLC, however, after looking round and talking to staff I preferred it. However, having looked around them both again I would have been happy for DS to attend either. I know children who have gone to Crossleys and love it. Like Annie Crossleys is closer for us but the early finish does mean an earlier return home (until they join all the clubs!)
Lorna1978

Post by Lorna1978 »

Thanks for that. We were all impressed by the building and facilities on offer at CH. I just have a gut feeling she would be happier at NHGS. It seems so friendly and nurturing which is exactly what she needs!
annie321

Post by annie321 »

You don't look back on your schooldays and remember what the buildings were like. You remember the relationships you had with friends and teachers and whether you were happy. I'd go with where you think (and she thinks) she'd be happiest. Nothing else really matters.
annie321

Post by annie321 »

DD suddenly having jitters about which school to choose! We have until 23.59 tomorrow to make our minds up!
Last edited by annie321 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You're taking it to the wire! Have you made up your mind yet?

If not, I would try and discourage DD from choosing based on friendship as these really are very fluid once you get to Secondary. If that is her only reason for choosing CH she could end up feeling more distressed further down the line. It is perfectly normal for the DC to have a few wobbles.

You are in a better position to view the issue dispassionately. Do you feel there are other good reasons to choose CH for your DD? I know distance isn't a problem so I would be trying to persuade DD to choose whichever school you feel is the best fit for her.

One at each would certainly give you a great perspective of the two schools. :lol:
annie321

Post by annie321 »

She chose NHGS x