Watford Boys vs Chesham Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
swatik

Watford Boys vs Chesham Grammar

Post by swatik »

Hi all,
My son got very high score in Herts 11+ and we are confident that he will get into watford boys . Also, he has scored above the cut off for Bucks. This morning, we visited both Watford boys and Chesham Grammar. We liked both the schools. Now I am in dilemma about choosing between Watford boys and Chesham Grammar.
Academically Watford boy's result looks impressive but Chesham Grammar just gave us a very good overall feel. Not sure now, which one to choose.
We sincerely want some advice and guidance please.
Hera

Re: Watford Boys vs Chesham Grammar

Post by Hera »

Quite a distance bewteen the 2 schools. Which one is easier to get to? They are both excellent schools.
swatik

Post by swatik »

We live close to Watford Boys but ready to move . We are looking for school which is best for our son.
hamscd

Post by hamscd »

This is strange there are people in this forums moving for watford grammar. Watford grammar is a really good school. Far better academically than Chesham grammar. Of course there may be other factors to consider like chesham grammar is coed where as watford is a boy school.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

you will need to get a move on re moving, there are very few areas that i can think of that are even in the outer catchment for watford boys and still in catchment for chesham. (areas of chorleywood only i think)
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I think OP has already passed, and Chesham isn't as oversubscribed so they probably don't need to move for catchment reasons, more for travel-it's deciding which school is best regardless if location if they disregard costs/hassle of moving.

I think...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Do you have other DCs to consider?
scary mum
decaff

Post by decaff »

Is Watford boys better academically than CG?. Its very difficult to say in my opinion. Watford boys perhaps likely to have a wider range of abilities as only 25% selective. Some boys for example may have sat foundation GCSE English/Maths so can only achieve a C grade. So difficult to compare with broad look at GCSE results/tables. Also some schools have used modular GCSE's with I think helps less academic pupils. Although I know these have now been abolished. A Level results look good for both schools but many bright boys join Watford boys from elsewhere at 6th form and a good number leave in year 11. However both excellent schools.
swatik

Post by swatik »

Thank you. Your information has helped me look into other aspects ignored originally. I have done some more digging around course and it appears that at WBGS, subjects offered to a student in the GCSE varies widely based on the ability of students (Specially Science) . They have various levels for different kid because of mixed ability. Same can't be said for Chesham Grammar as they are more standardized.

By choosing WBGS, younger sibling is secured however, confused between mixed ability course range in a partially selective comprehensive vs standard offering in a proper grammar school.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

have you looked at clement danes. I presume( tell me if i am wrong) that you live chorleywood way in order to qualify for both WGSB and for a bucks grammar? Similar to watford boys regarding intake and mixed ability, although slightly higher % taken on academic ability ?

Saying that, from what i have heard WGSB is still very academic even though officially a partially selective comprehensive. A large % of non selective places are taken up by siblings and this year there were only 20 places that were community places, so 160 that went to academic, music or siblings!! hardly comprehensive!

also for example maths they have 8 sets per year but the top 6 are all expected to get A or A* at GCSE.