Kent 11+ failed. Unsure whether to appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sarahmurphy

Kent 11+ failed. Unsure whether to appeal.

Post by Sarahmurphy »

My child received her 11+ results yesterday. Her overall score was 349 and individual scores were verbal - 130, maths - 115 and non verbal - 104! Head teacher didn't appeal as she failed 2 tests. However, her nfer results from May were far different, especially in non verbal. I'm not sure what actually happened. She did have a cold and although she went to school, she was dosed up on calpol/neurofen.

Her nfer results were verbal - 132, non verbal - 128 and maths - 107.

Her says scores are all positive too. Reading 5b, writing 4c and maths 4b. These were in May at the end of year 5.

I am unsure whether to appeal or whether I need to simply move on and find my child a suitable high school. I would appreciate any advice at all. Thanks xx
twinkles

Re: Kent 11+ failed. Unsure whether to appeal.

Post by twinkles »

Hi Sarah

It may be a bit of a long shot with such a low score on NVR, but if you don't try you will never know!!!

Will the HT support an appeal?

What area of Kent are you in? If you are in the West of Kent I think your chances are slimmer than other areas.

Do you have good back up comps?

When she went to school on the day of the tests did you ask for it to be noted that she was ill?

Loads of advice on the forum about appealing so have a good look through and ask lots of questions, lots of people with helpful advice. :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Sarah

here is the link to the appeals FAQ http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarahmurphy

Post by Sarahmurphy »

Hi, we are in maidstone. The local comp is good but not as good as the grammars (as you'd expect!) I am meeting the head teacher next week to discuss if he'd help with an appeal.

I wondered if they take into consideration her nfer results as if these had been her 11+ results she would have more than likely pad on a head teacher appeal!! :-(

I didn't know the illness needed to be noted. Although I did speak to her class teacher and made him aware of her illness. She was poorly all week that week.

Thanks for your advice. Any other relative info is grateful. X x
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I don't know what the format of the nvr was like this year but last year they changed it from eight sections of 9 questions each to four sections of 18. My son failed nvr by three marks. We asked KCC if we could see his answer papers. They told us that he had totally flunked one of the sections. We had suspicions that he was dyslexic/dyspraxic and got an ed psych to assess him and the diagnosis was confirmed. It turns out that the section he flunked was one of the question types that a dyslexic/dyspraxic child find impossible to do. We used that as the basis for our (successful) appeal. Might be worth asking KCC if u can look at answer papers and see if u can see a pattern. She might also have missed a question making all the rest out of synch.
Sarahmurphy

Post by Sarahmurphy »

I will do that. Do you just contact kcc? I am not sure if she completed a section wrong whether that puts us in a better place for appeal. The nvr was exactly as you described. 4 sections of 18 questions. This isn't the layout that we had seen before as the practice test papers we had been doing were 5 sections of 12 questions. So not sure if the new layout phased her. Thanks for your advice x
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Yes, you get info from KCC but I would wait for a couple of weeks as they are mega busy at this time of year.