Advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Natalie74

Advice please

Post by Natalie74 »

I received my son's score yesterday of 220, I'm so proud of him but sadly, we both know it's just not enough for Camp Hill which he's gutted about as he'd got his heart set on it and it's literally round the corner from us. I've not filled in the preference form yet and would like some advice please.

When the letter arrived with his results, there was also a note to say 'A number of the Grammar Schools in Birmingham are considering admitting additional pupils at age 11 in September 2014' Does anyone know what this actually means? Or when these are due to be published?

I would love him to get into Camp Hill, (Not sure he's got a chance though as he scored 220 but needed 240) but worried if I put Camp Hill as my first choice then 2nd and 3rd choices maybe comprimised as others may of put those schools first on their preference forms. Is that how it works?

I'ts so stressful isn't it. We did the train journey tonight to get to Bishop Vesey, it's quite far but think he'd stand a chance of getting in there as last years result was 217. I'd be happy for him to go to our local comprehensive school because I think with the right attitude, he'll do well wherever he goes but he's worked so hard to get into a grammar school, he's willing to travel. bless him!

Do you think Five Ways would be a concideration for him the cut off score last year was 227. So, if I don't put Camp Hill as his first preference and maybe put Five Ways instead, would that jepodise his place at Bishop Vesey if that goes into 2nd place.

Oh please help! :shock:
KenR

Re: Advice please

Post by KenR »

Put them in the order you really want - there is no penalty if the school you think you are most likely to get into on past performance is only 5th or even 6th!

Both KECHB and KE 5-ways are probably not a great bet - but put them down in the order you really want.

With 220 I would seriously consider KE Aston - the journey isn't too bad, 220 was the last qualifying score last year but it was lower in previous years. KE Aston is a very good school.

From what you say it sounds like the following order

1. KECHB
2. KE 5-ways
3. KE Aston or BV (whichever you prefer first)
4. BV or KE-Aston
5. 1st choice Comp ( or Handsworth Boys - but not quite in the same league as the above)
6. 1st or 2nd choice Comp

Nothing to lose
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Well done to your son firstly on achieving a well above average score. Quite simply put: have down, in order of preference, the schools that you want your ds to go to. You will not jeopardise ANYTHING - the schools do NOT know the order of your preferences.
Unfortunately 220 is highly unlikely for chb this year (although scores are likely to come down as there are supposedly to be increases in intake numbers for some, if not all, of the KE grammar schools next year). If there is to be an increase in intake at chb next year (& it seems highly like as I spoke to admissions earlier today) then I would say that the cut-off for chb is likely to fall by NO MORE than 10 points at the VERY MAXIMUM!
Good luck.
TNG

Post by TNG »

I'd agree with KenR
If you don't try you'll never know re KECHB
This increase in admission numbers has meant this year MAY mean anything with regards to admission
220 is a great score
You and your son should be proud
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Ahhh thank you both so much for replying, kept refreshing the page hoping someone would reply. I'm so glad I joined this forum tonight as someone told me that if I put CH first on my preference form (but didn't get allocated that school due to not score enough) and then put either FW or BV 2nd and 3rd then everyone else who puts FW or BV first on their form will be allocated those places first and my son will stand a far less chance of getting into either one of those schools as the places will have all gone.

Even concidered putting BV 2nd as there are more boys places available than FW because of the above reason. Could you please just clarify that what you said earlier is how I've understood it? I know the schools won't find out where they were placed on the preference forms.

Thank you so much for your help. x
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Natalie74 wrote:Ahhh thank you both so much for replying, kept refreshing the page hoping someone would reply. I'm so glad I joined this forum tonight as someone told me that if I put CH first on my preference form (but didn't get allocated that school due to not score enough) and then put either FW or BV 2nd and 3rd then everyone else who puts FW or BV first on their form will be allocated those places first and my son will stand a far less chance of getting into either one of those schools as the places will have all gone.

Even concidered putting BV 2nd as there are more boys places available than FW because of the above reason. Could you please just clarify that what you said earlier is how I've understood it? I know the schools won't find out where they were placed on the preference forms.

Thank you so much for your help. x
You've got it spot on! Sussed!!!
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

So it would jepodise his chances of getting his 2nd choice? I'm confussed now.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

No it makes no difference to your chances with your second choice - you'd be slotted in according to the score, regardless of whether it was first, second or even a lower preference.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

The schools do not even see where you have put them on the preference form. They work out if you meet their criteria and then the local authority processes your preference form to allocate you the first one for which you meet the criteria. Glad I'm not in charge of schools allocation information technology software!
MSD

Post by MSD »

Increasing the class sizes of CHB and CHG will most definitely bring the cut-off for these two schools down. But it would be interesting to see if it additionally brings the cut-off down for other KE's. I am of the opinion that it will do but not by much.

MSD