Help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Natalie74

Help please

Post by Natalie74 »

I received my son's score yesterday of 220, I'm so proud of him but sadly, we both know it's just not enough for Camp Hill which he's gutted about as he'd got his heart set on it and it's literally round the corner from us. I've not filled in the preference form yet and would like some advice please.

When the letter arrived with his results, there was also a note to say 'A number of the Grammar Schools in Birmingham are considering admitting additional pupils at age 11 in September 2014' Does anyone know what this actually means? Or when these are due to be published?

I would love him to get into Camp Hill, (Not sure he's got a chance though as he scored 220 but needed 240) but worried if I put Camp Hill as my first choice then 2nd and 3rd choices maybe comprimised as others may of put those schools first on their preference forms. Is that how it works?

I'ts so stressful isn't it. We did the train journey tonight to get to Bishop Vesey, it's quite far but think he'd stand a chance of getting in there as last years result was 217. I'd be happy for him to go to our local comprehensive school because I think with the right attitude, he'll do well wherever he goes but he's worked so hard to get into a grammar school, he's willing to travel. bless him!

Do you think Five Ways would be a concideration for him the cut off score last year was 227. So, if I don't put Camp Hill as his first preference and maybe put Five Ways instead, would that jepodise his place at Bishop Vesey if that goes into 2nd place.

Oh please help! :shock:
Okanagan

Re: Help please

Post by Okanagan »

Natalie74 wrote:I would love him to get into Camp Hill, (Not sure he's got a chance though as he scored 220 but needed 240) but worried if I put Camp Hill as my first choice then 2nd and 3rd choices maybe comprimised as others may of put those schools first on their preference forms. Is that how it works?
No the schools don't even get to know where you placed them on the form. If you don't get your first choice your application moves on to your second preference where it is treated EXACTLY like all the others which may have placed it first. And then if necessary moves on to your third preference, again treated exactly as if you'd placed it first.

So just put them down in your true order of preference, with the proviso that somewhere on your form - last if necessary - you put a school you're sure to get, or you risk not getting any and being allocated to the nearest school which happens to have spaces, which might not be one you'd have chosen.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Really? But if I put Camp Hill first, and he doesn't get in as he didn't score enough, won't that make our 2nd choice risky as everyone who put that school first on their form will take up all the places?

What about these additional pupil places, does anyone know anything about that?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

No you'd move on to your second choice and be slotted in at the appropriate place for the score. That might mean that someone who placed it first, but has a lower score, gets bumped off the bottom of the list. It makes no difference that it was their first preference and your second preference.

Schools are no longer allowed to use where they are placed on the form as a criteria for whether to offer a place or not.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Ahh Thank you so much! It's so confusing when different people tell you different things. You're definatly sure? lol
KenR

Post by KenR »

They use quite a sophisticated software programme (written by CAPITA or CACI I think) to work it all out and don't forget they have to interface to all of the neighbouring LEAs
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

Natalie74 wrote:Ahh Thank you so much! It's so confusing when different people tell you different things. You're definatly sure? lol
No one with a lower score will get in in front of your son regardless of where you put on the list. It is well documented and also all the head teachers reiterate this many times during the open day speeches!

A few years ago there was a documentary on bbc2 about the transfer process in Birmingham. I think it was called moving to big school? It described the computer programme used and was very interesting!
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Oh my gosh, I remember watching that programme thinking blimey in a few years we will be going through that, and here we are. Eek!
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Was it not called the big school lottery?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Yes that was the one! I remember watching it too and thinking it would be us soon.
UmSusu
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now